Sunday, December 14, 2008

Roadtrip: Florida, Round Two

I was just down in Florida two weeks ago for Thanksgiving, but for the last couple of years, I've been Santa at my niece's Christmas dance recital in Tampa. It's an easy gig: wave to the crowd at the entrance, and talk to kids and hand out candycanes after the show. I enjoy it, so when my Brother, AndyMan (pictured at left, in the Santa hat), asked me to make it three years in a row, I hadda go back. The SpongeBob Mobile is, of course, no more. But I've found an able replacement, a silver Volkswagon Passat, which I've named "The Silver Surfer".


Here's my "Clint Eastwood" Santa. You feel lucky, kid? Well, do ya?

Funny story; true story, from the first year I did this: The first year I did this I'd done the the first show rather tenatively. I don't embarrass easily, but I had some questions about what the organizers were expecting, so I played the first show kinda low-key. Nothing wrong with it, but the enthusiasm level was a little low. I had a couple cups of coffee and was jacked up for the second show, and I came charging out and pleased the crowd. I sat down in the "Santa Seat" which is always in the middle of the front row. The remainder of the seats in the front row are left open so parents can move up and take pictures during their child's set. One of the moms came up and sat next to me during the second show. "Hey, Santa", she said. "Ho, Ho, Ho.", I said. "You were really good", she added. "Thankyou", I said. She continued, "Not like the Santa in the first show. He wasn't very good". Oh, well. At least I know the compliment part hadda be true. Anyway, AndyMan recorded my entrance this year (second show. I don't leave records of my first shows anymore):



Ballerina Alison. She's smart, too.
Santa with Santa's niece, Ali, and her sister, Katie.

These gals danced to "Santa, Baby". Santa 'bout had a heart attack.

11 comments:

jrtnutt said...

I forgot all about your visit to the Bay area. Darn..but if you read my last couple blog posts, you will figure out why I forgot you were coming. Great pictures, loved the video. I will mark it on my calendar for next year for sure.

John in IL said...

Love the Santa as an jolly old letch pic! A very special Hooters Christmas.

John in IL said...

But those clenched fists worry me a little bit.

superdave524 said...

Glad you liked it, Tam.

The clenched fists, John, I think were an effort not to be TOO lecherous. I think. Next year Santa might get mittens (though that'd make it tough to grab the candy canes).

John in IL said...

Yeah, but you did it to your neices, too

vgarland said...

SuperDave, I think I know the girl on the right. Hope you weren't a pervert! :o)

superdave524 said...

My nieces were safe, John, and so were the other girls, Vickie. As the father of a teenage daughter, I'm always aware that every girl is somebody's daughter. Wait, didn't John Mayer say that?

Chase Squires said...

Santa wears gloves.

vgarland said...

I still say I know that girl on the right. Glad to know you aren't a perv!

superdave524 said...

Discussed the glove thing with A-Man, Chase, and, apparently, Santa doesn't always wear gloves. In Colorado, yes; in Florida, not so much.

You may, Vickie. If you'd like, I can get my brother to get you her name (course, then I WOULD look like a perv).

vgarland said...

Her name is Lizzie and she is the daughter of one of my closest friends in Tampa. She and her brother attend FSU, where her brother, Caz, plays for the 'Noles. Her dad also played for FSU so you see she comes from good stock! :o)