Friday, December 19, 2008

Deckin' the Halls.

As we limp into the Christmas home stretch, the Lads and I did a little decorating. The stockings were hung by what was once a chimney, without a lot of care...

The way under-adorned Advent calendar was a gift 20 years ago from my mom. It's supposed to go up on the First of December, and each day you hang an ornament and read the thought for the day prepared for each ornament. Obviously, we got a late start, but we did manage to do the reading for December 17th, which was her birthday.

She'd cut the ornaments out of felt and typed and laminated each Christmas thought. These are my favorites. The Jerusalem Cross is the symbol of, among other things, the convent in which mom was life-professed. The angel includes a picture of mom reading the music. Cool, huh? Mom added some individual touches just for me on the owl and the snowman: The owl has a button from a pair of size 32 Ocean Pacific shorts that I used to wear... and wear... and wear. I haven't had a 32 waist in quite a long time, but I still remember the shorts. The ribbon around the snowman was the ribbon that was around my lawschool diploma. This will the third Christmas since Mom left this celestial ball. I'm glad she left this memory.

10 comments:

Star said...

My most treasured Christmas item is the nativity scene that my Great Uncle hand made and chalk-painted. We had it at my parents' house for years. When I requested him to make another, he said it was too difficult to do again. When he died five years ago, my mom gave it to me. I look forward to unwrapping it every year.

Mr. Matt said...

I'll have to post a photo of my Christmas ornaments from mom, they are really ugly, and I love them.

Chase Squires said...

Very cool yule ... nice stuff, SD.

superdave524 said...

It is amazing the power that resides in some special objects, when someone puts something of themselves into them, isn't it? I'd love to see your Uncles's nativity scene, Star.

Andy, I'll be over at your place tomorrow. If you don't have the ornaments up already, your nephews and I will "help" you (you prolly ought to get them up today!).

Thanks, Chase.

Star said...

Now that's one I've NOT heard before SD :)

How long are you in town?

superdave524 said...

We'll arrive (I hope) Saturday night/late afternoon, leave Monday sometime.

jrtnutt said...

Dave, sounds like your mother was sweet and sentimental.
Thanks for sharing that with us.
Tam

superdave524 said...

She was smart, and funny, and generally a pretty neat gal. Although Andy was a better son than I was (to both mom and dad), he was more like dad and I was probably more like mom, though we both have a lot of both our parents in us. I learned a lot more from her than I ever did from school.

Mr. Matt said...

Ok bro-ham, keep me posted notes. I may see you Sat. afternoon, but I'm out on the town Saturday night, fo' sho, fo' sho :)

superdave524 said...

Roger, that.