Thursday, May 1, 2008

Roadtrip: MCR

Loaded up the SpongeBobMobile at about 10:00 a.m. and headed in the wrong direction. East toward Beaufort to pick up some birthday money from BabyMomma.

Went West through Bamburg County, Aiken, then picked up I-20 through Georgia. Stopped at the Alabama Welcome Center. Alabama welcome? Rather an oxymoronic term, particularly given their motto: We Dare Defend Our Rights. Hmmm. Who is "our"?

Maybe we can get a clue from the Alabama governor whose administration bankrolled the Welcome Center. Ahh, famed segregationist George Wallace. He doesn't look happy. Too busy defending Alabaman's rights to smile, I guess. 'Course, with my State's track record, I ought not to be tossing rocks, I suppose.

Here's something you don't see every day: a Port-a-potty farm. Actually, this is the Super Motor Speedway at Talladega, a coupla weeks after a big NASCAR race. The thought of that many NASCAR fans depositing that much processed nachos, pork rinds and Budweiser... Erg. I'll be right back...

We stayed at a boutique hotel in the trendy Five-Points area of Birmingham.

Wonder what Goat-Man is reading?

Grabbed some sammiches before the show. The Lads made sport of the waiters and waitresses by casting reflections off their knives into their eyes. If I've learned anything from my travels, it's "don't upset the people that bring you your food". Sadly, I had not, up to that time, taught this to the Lads. We all left feeling slightly queesy. Next time I gotta remember to pack some Tums...

The show was held at the Sloss Furnace, er, area? Museum? Well, whatever it is called, its an old furnace-making industrial site. The tickets just said "Sloss Furnace"- fortunately, a misnomer.

I wasn't allowed to bring my camera into the show. I tried, without much success, to take a couple with my phone camera. The warm-up groups were Drive-By, whose main qualification to be there seemed to be the lead singer's ability to remind the audience that we were all in Birmingham, Alabama, and that, eventually, they'd be leaving and we'd all be able to watch My Chemical Romance. The second group, Billy Talent- who must not have been around in the eighties when a similarly named preformer had a coupla tunes on the airwaves- at least brought some decent energy to the show. They didn't make many friends in the land that dares to defend itself when they said mockingly, "This is the very, very, very, very, very first time we've been to Alabama. We're from a place called Canada". Some people actually booed when the lead singer said that. He recovered okay, but never completely understood that, if you're going to tease people from Alabama, you should wait until you are safely out of Alabama to do it. Least that's my strategy. You've already seen some MCR videos.

There was an awful lot of black in the crowd. You get the feeling that even Johnny Cash woulda said, "Whoa, dudes, cheer up".
I'd like to tell you they all looked like:
Or this:

Some of them did. But it is a sad fact that many Emo kids are not pretty and not everyone wears black with equal aplomb; Some were gravitationally impaired, and, clad in all that black, bore uncanny resemblances to bowling balls. The crowd tended toward about 15 years of age, but, to my amazement, there were really quite a lot of parents there. A mix of devoted parents taking their kids to their first concert, and I guess a few of them musta got lost on the way to "The Eagles, Hell Freezes Over Yet Again Tour". Some of them dressed for the show. Big mistake. They just managed to look a few months early or a few months late for Halloween.

Me? I got a black suit and a tux, but didn't opt for black.

Dad, in his Emo outfit...

The trip back was looong, and made longer by the fact that the boys had frequent gas attacks. Fortunately, I control the windows. I also had a little gas late in the game. Hee Hee Hee.

We did see a tank around Blackville, SC. I opted to leave out the Lads favorite pictures. What, you can't guess? C'mon, it's a bunch of immature boys!

15 comments:

Mr. Matt said...

I'd say the left out pix were Very Happy Gilmore types.

As for George Corley Wallace, two great AndyMan facts re: George. He signed one of my diplomas. I went to the Deputante party for his youngest daughter Dee. Oh, I've been around (the Deep South that is, speaking of misnomers or Oxymaroon tides, Deep South, I could swear when Ronald McDonald read the funnies in Alabama he asked us all to get out our Highlighters :)

superdave524 said...

Funny stuff, Ange. Happy Gilmoresque, indeed (in fact, similar to the Cher video featured in John's blog). It's funny how close we get to some of this "tradition". 'Member Skeeter?

Chase Squires said...

Man, what a good sport you are for a dad ... There is no way in this earth's reality that I could ever imagine my dad at an MCR show ... ever.

ever.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a good time was had by most. You're a brave man.

And yeah, the Cher video was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the last pic. I was going to mention it here but thought someone might read some icky subtext into it.

superdave524 said...

Nah, Chase, mine neither. Don't think I ever spent the night at Dad's house after the split. Couldn't. No beds for me or Ange. Dads were different then. He didn't miss any of mine or Andy's football games, though.

It was mostly fun, John. Icky subtext? Phallic references are part of being a dude. How else can you explain Adam Sandler's earlier work? 'Course, you're right about there being a thin line. Okay for me to tell the mom or dad of my daughter or son's friend, "your daughter/son is becoming a very pretty/handsome young lady/man". On the other hand: "Wow, your son/daughter's hot!"? Not so much.

Star said...

Ya gotta love the Emo kids. One-on-one they're quite interesting, but get a group of 'em together, and I'm pulling out my cross and dagger. Next stop for you in Tampa: The Castle. But if you wear your Happy Gilmore outfit, you'll get yer @$$ kicked!

PS: Did you actually like the music? And did you come out with any piercings?

Anonymous said...

Gov. Wallace didn't smile because he knew he was going to lose and expose the white population to murder, rape, and muggings which they do at several times the rate of whties. www.goodoleboybumperstickers.com

superdave524 said...

Emo doesn't really speak to me, Star. The Twins like a couple of the songs, but ultimately they're more Metallica than MCR (me, too). Still, a pretty good concert experience, all in all. Some of the songs were alright. Some good moments: sing-a-long with The Black Parade; Helena at encore was pretty good; "Famous Last Words" actually had some positive language "I am not afraid to keep on living". And my ears were figuratively, but not literally, pierced.

my friend Amy said...

Just like Didney Wold, glad YOU were there. Your yougins will always remember this trip and someday look back upon just how cool a dude you was.

That is a well-positioned gun on the tank, don't tell me the boys were the only ones who posed.

superdave524 said...

Hee Hee Hee.

kate said...

The Castle is still around? Good to know. Although I really don't think anyone ought to go there if they're older than 27, 28 at the most.

Who do you look like, David? Maybe a younger, saner Gary Busey? Maybe not. I gotta think on this awhile.

superdave524 said...

Gary Busey? Pre- or Post- Cycle accident? Either way, I've been called a lot worse.

Lynne said...

SuperD looks like his bro. And Gary Busey.

superdave524 said...

Oddly, though, Andy looks a little like me, but nothing like Gary Busey. Right, Lynne?

Lynne said...

SuperD - I would have to agree with you. You resemble a younger, Gary B.

Andy is handsome all on his own.