Thursday, May 8, 2008

Pot and Potter.

A Neighbor offered me pot, which I declined. I told him he was free to do whatever he wanted, but please don't use it around my kids. That's the last time he allowed his kid around mine. Another neighborhood kid, the son of a fundamentalist preacher, asked about my reading Harry Potter with my boys. His dad thinks Potter's a rotter. I 'splained that, even though there are people who think anything with fantasy characters in it is "satanic", we didn't see it that way, and neither did C.S. Lewis nor JRR Tolkien who were both Christians (Lewis being rather well known for his Christian writings). I told him his father wasn't wrong, and ultimately, even though we enjoy the books, he isn't missing anything vital in his life by not reading it. That's the last I've seen of that kid. Sometimes the World's a strange place, Idnit?

6 comments:

Star said...

Strange? Check out this gem:

LAND 'O LAKES, Fla. -- A substitute teacher in Pasco County has lost his job after being accused of wizardry.

Teacher Jim Piculas does a magic trick where a toothpick disappears and then reappears.

Piculas recently did the 30-second trick in front of a classroom at Rushe Middle School in Land 'O Lakes.

Piculas said he then got a call from the supervisor of teachers, saying he'd been accused of wizardry.

"I get a call the middle of the day from head of supervisor of substitute teachers. He says, 'Jim, we have a huge issue, you can't take any more assignments you need to come in right away,'" he said.

Piculas said he did not know of any other accusations that would have led to the action.

The teacher said he is concerned that the incident may prevent him from getting future jobs.

Seriously???

superdave524 said...

Remember when "witch hunt" was a figurative term?

Mr. Matt said...

You are a nice guy. I promise you I would have told Voldermort's son that the Dark Lord was mistaken. Harry Potter is not Anti-Christian, and you hope some day his dad would understand that.

Can't keep letting these idiot's off the hook.

And Star, I heard that LoL story too, and there has to be more to it, let's stay tuned.

superdave524 said...

Yeah, but I felt sorry for the kid. The dad's an idiot, but I don't need to be the one to tell the kid that.

Chase Squires said...

To quote a great spiritual leater: "-Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in The Beatles, I just believe in me." Good point there. After all, he was the walrus."

Ridiculous people adhering to strict, unbending -isms just piss me off. It's easy to walk lock-step with something. Hell, look at the Nazis ...

Like, if you believe it's okay to smoke dope, maybe you should also believe it's okay for your neighbor to object to it. And if you believe in a fundamentalist religion, maybe you should think that maybe, just maybe, you're wrong.

Believing in an all-powerful, all-correct being is fine. But remember, you're not "Him."

superdave524 said...

Well said, Chase. I find comfort in my Church, but I try not to mistake the organization, the literature, or any of the people involved (running the show or otherwise) for the object of my worship. If any ism doesn't help you find peace with all the other creatures out there, it oughta be ditched.

And I thought Paul was the Walrus?