Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day

My Mother was a Sister. Yeah, she had a brother (Uncle Bob to AndyMan and me), but that's not what I'm talkin' about. I'm a son-of-a-nun. Honest Injun. Here's an article about her when she was "stationed" in Lincolnton, NC, near Asheville.


She performed with story-telling troupes in NC and in Northern California. That was sorta her ministry. She tried to teach me some stuff that way. Don't be so competitive. Don't judge folks. That sort of stuff ('Course, she was battling dad's influence and DNA, so, you know, the success was limited).







I've got lots of pictures of mom, but the ones I like best show her assuming non-mom roles.



Mom and five of her best friends from Orlando called themselves "the Girls" (Cousin Paula wasn't in this picture, but I liked it anyway). They knew each other for about 65 years, from gradeschool, and continued to get together every couple of years. Mom is on the right.

Mom was funny, spiritual, and one of the smartest people I ever knew.
I miss her.

Happy Mother's Day, Mom.

13 comments:

Mr. Matt said...

Must be why I'm so melon-Collie (no way I could spell it, so sound it out Andy, sound it out) today.

Yeah, no one to say happy mother's day to :-(

superdave524 said...

Sucks, doesn't it? Well, Happy Mother's Day, Andy.

Lynne said...

Andy, you said Happy Mother's Day to me !

superdave524 said...

That is a good thing, Lynne.

Chase Squires said...

Whew, I was drinking and driving on the Information Superhighway last night ... was afraid I said something untoward on your blog ...

Glad I didn't. Best, to all. She sounds like a great lady. You were lucky.

superdave524 said...

Yeah, Mom was pretty cool (and don't worry about the occasional off the wall comment. That's also a Mathews speciality).

superdave524 said...

...and another thing, Chase, I rather enjoyed your Pot and Potter comments, whether or not alcohol induced...

kate said...

Why did she become a nun and when? How old were you? I thought nuns couldn't marry or have kids.

Some details, Mr. Writer.

Mr. Matt said...

Mom went in the 'Vent in 1982. She was in for 24 years or so.

And she just wasn't a very good nun, we were her little secrets....

Ok, that's not true. You could HAVE been married. As for kids, they strongly discouraged the sisters from having any more!

Now, she is our Nun of the Above!

superdave524 said...

Couldn't have put it better myself. Though mom got the call much earlier in life, she waited until Andy and I could more or less look after ourselves that she heeded it. It might also help to know that Sister Mom was an Episcopal nun. There was one other Sister who was also a mother. And one of her daughters was an Episcopal priest (poor othter sister, "My mom's my sister, my sister's my father". Now there's some therapy sessions). Not many nuns have had kids, cause generally, when they say Nun, they mean None.

superdave524 said...

...and, for what it's worth, dad died in 1978.

kate said...

Good to know. I was wondering about that, but I've been a busy bee these last few days.

I'd tell you where I am...but then I'd have to shoot you. And then who would read my nonsense and write entertaining comments?

Shhhh...

superdave524 said...

Kate, ain't no flies on you, and lots of folk, including me, look forward to your insights on stuff. I always figured I was better at going to parties than throwing them, but I'm glad you stop to check in on me anyway.