Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Bold Pronouncements: Part I

I love sweets, really I do. Cookies, cake, pie and candy are wonderful. I used to use my allowance to go to Rexall in Town and Country and buy candy by the pound. I also used to play tag, and kick-the-can, and football, and ride my bike for miles and miles. Now? Not so much. I just marked the 48th anniversary of my birth, and exercise has not been a big priority for me. If I wanna see sixty, I'd better start paying attention to this sorta stuff. Since I tend to be more an externally than internally motivated sort of fellow, I've decided I'm going to shoot for some decent distance run for my 50th Birthday. Until a couple of years ago, if I said I was going to achieve something, I- by God- achieved it. In 2001, I said I was going to train for a marathon, and in December 2002, I completed one (not fast, but I finished). Since then, my pronouncements haven't been worth Confederate money. Two or three times in the past couple of years, I've made tepid statements about running a marathon or some such thing, and done jack-spit. Now I'm giving myself a challenge. I'm going to run 50 k on or about my 50th birthday. That's what? 35 or so miles? I'll have to drop 30 or so pounds to have a shot, but that's a good thing, right? Imo try to limit my sweets to one day a week (some exceptions for holidays and birthdays), and eat fewer fried foods. I got the shoes, Chase. I've got a schedule to get me up to marathon distance, after that I'll need some help. But you guys'll help, right?

15 comments:

QuakerJono said...

I completely support and approve of your pronouncement. It is important to use pronouns wherever possible.

Wait, I'm missing something, aren't I?

superdave524 said...

I generally prefer unpaid nouns, QJ.

Mr. Matt said...

Just remember the words of Chase Squires, "Relentless Forward Progress!" That'll get you there, it really will. And Dave, give up the fried foods, once a week max! Also, you could do without Mayo. But really there will be plenty of good stuff that you can eat, every day!

superdave524 said...

Baby steps, Ange. Giving up sweets is a big deal for me. Fried food is bad, I know, but it's accessible and easy to cook. I'll try to hone my cooking skills. When I learn to use spices like you use them, it'll be a lot easier.

Star said...

I think a measly 50K would be selling yourself short. You have two years to train for a 50-miler :) BUT, we will be your athletic supporters (ewww) no matter what your goal.

Oh, and btw, I make a mean low-carb cheesecake. You don't have to totally give up the goodies, 'cause that'd be nearly impossible! There are ways to make low-fat/low-carb treats taste good without using black beans.

superdave524 said...

Low carb, Star? We'll see. Anyway, I'll not doubt your cooking prowess.

kate said...

I can help with the positive thoughts. That counts for something, right?

Try to give up anything with partially hydrogenated oils and high fructose corn syrup. That's a good start. (I didn't even mention dead animals, but you know I was thinkin' it...)

superdave524 said...

Yeah, positive thoughts count. Geez, Kate, Partially Hydrogenated Oils? Dead Animals? Tell you what, I'll start by not eating any LIVE animals (except maybe oysters).

Star said...

Hey I said low-CARB, not low-CALORIE. Its still very rich. (BTW: I like the Christmas cookie tin!)

My advice to you: stop drinking soda. There's absolutely nothing good about it. I drink water, milk (cow and soy...low-fat, unsweetened, plain), all-natural no sugar added juice (the pomegranate-blueberry at Super Target is awesome)...and that's about it. Oh, and decaf coffee.

superdave524 said...

Doesn't everyone use Christmas containers in May? Those really were good cookies. I already don't drink sodas very often. Coffee (regular, strong), water and milk is pretty much all I drink, too. My biggest problems are sweets, fried foods and the AMOUNT of stuff I eat. Oh, and I know I need more vegetables. Several of my peers have diabetes, and I'd really rather not, so I'm going to have to mind my diet.

superdave524 said...

Oh, yeah. Scotch, too.

Mr. Matt said...

Whoa now, just whoa! Eat less, don't eat fried. Severly limit sweets and alcohol. Mix in a little exercise and BAM! You are a stud like the Professor.

superdave524 said...

Right now, I'm more like the Skipper than the Professor (least I'm not Gilligan).

kate said...

Don't get me started on shellfish, goy boy.

superdave524 said...

Well, I'm a shellfish person (actually, not so much. I used to love the distinctly non-kosher sea treats, but the Almighty has smitten me with allegeries to shrimp and, apparently, most other shellfish).