Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Happy Birthday, Baby.

Today was Diane's Birthday (well, actually, it was the anniversary of her birthday. You only get one actual birthday). I took her to the Indigo Girls concert in North Charleston last night. It was a lot of fun. Today I made us a right respectable meal of: meatloaf (94% lean ground beef, a couple of eggs, some bread crumbs, ketchup, onions, Worcheshire sauce, and a glaze of ketchup, brown sugar and honey (and a dash more W-sauce); some red-potato mashed potatoes with five cloves of garlic and a bit of butter and milk; a steamed vegetable medley of broccoli, carrots and red onions with pepper; and a decent bottle of Cianti. It was pretty good, I think. Not in Lady Di's league, of course, but not bad. A middling from-the-box yellow cake (Duncan Hines, I think), with some raspberry compote in between the layers, and topped with home-made butter chocolate frosting (butter, cocoa, vanilla, milk and confectioner's sugar) that tasted better than it looked completed the meal. A pretty paltry gift for my wonderful wife, but I think she liked it anyhow. Happy Birthday, Baby.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

As I am old enough to be your Mother----I can say that I am right proud of the Birthday dinner you whipped up for your lovely wife. Your cake looks much like most of any I ever attempted....(actually much better!)I always say they taste better if not picture perfect. :) fdb

Star said...

It's the effort that counts!

Happy Birthday Diane!!!

superdave524 said...

Frandy, you are my second mother, and I'll most gratefully take your compliment; though, as a recipient of many of your delicious meals (including portions of birthday cakes you prepared for your kids and for various and sundry other folks), I know I'm not in your league, either.

Thanks, Star.

Anonymous said...

Dave--I fixed ONE cake "from scratch" when Leo and I were newlyweds---it looked like cornbread. From that time foward ALL of my cakes came from a box! :)

Diane said...

My birthday was wonderful Dave! The meal was perfect and the cake was delicious.

My Mom asked each of her 6 children what homemade meal we wanted each year on our birthday and I always asked for meatloaf. So this meal was very special to me. Thank you Love, Diane

Diane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
superdave524 said...

Shoot, now it feels like MY birthday!