Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Rent-a-Friend.

Monday's "Wizard of Id" was a little funny, and a lot true. Here. Take a look. I'll wait.



We all want to be heard, but mostly we don't want to listen to other folks when it's their turn. I remember walking into a house a few years ago, and watching five people all talking at the same time. Five mouths moving; no ears listening. It was beyond chaotic. My pop used to call counselors "rent-a-friend". Now, dad wasn't what you'd call progressive. You got a cut? Put some dirt on it. You got a cramp? Walk it off. You got problems? Well, GEICO kinda summed up his viewpoint:

8 comments:

col said...

listening is hard. a good friend knows how to really listen.

superdave524 said...

Too true, Col. Maybe that's why good friends are so scarce.

Anonymous said...

Amen to both! Sometimes to only listen is the best gift of all. fdb

superdave524 said...

...said the Block parent to Town and Country. You always listened (and I reckon still do) pretty well, Frandy.

Star said...

I admittedly like that commercial. Does that make me a less respectable rent-a-friend?

superdave524 said...

Star, I'm informed and believe that you are both a good friend and a good rent-a-friend. My dad was wrong about a bunch of stuff, including counselors (something I'll probably discuss with my counselor).

Mr. Matt said...

Back when I had a BLF she really liked that I listened. Well, truth be known, sometimes I got lucky, but I never know what she's talking about!

superdave524 said...

Healthy guesses are the key to a successful... wait, what?