Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Pilate Lite.

The Christian Church is in the midst of Holy Week. Holy Week starts on Palm Sunday, and includes Maundy_Thursday (where the Disciples wouldn't give Jesus a little company on his last night as a mortal, through Jesus' crucifixion on Good_Friday, ending finally on Easter_Sunday, where Christians celebrate the resurrection of Jesus. A tradition in the Episcopal (and other) churches, is to include an informal re-enactment of the Passion by assigning members of the parish to read the different roles found in the Gospel accounts of Holy Week. I've been been Peter, the Centurion, and even Jesus before, but the role I best understand is the Roman Governor, Pontius Pilate, who, bowing to the will of the mob, reluctantly sentenced Jesus to death. I've been Pilate three or four times, and I get him. In "Peculiar Treasures", Frederick_Buechner describes Pilate as a tired bureaucrat nearing the end of his career in the backwater of the Roman Empire. He's not a bad person, really, he's just looking forward to retirement, and not strong enough to do the right thing. This year's lectionary has Luke's account of the Passion. It's okay, but John's version has the best interchange between Pilate and Jesus (check it out John 18, verses 28-40, HERE, which contains the classic nihilist line "what is truth?"). Any way, Luke's Pilate is not as interesting. Call it "Pilate Lite".

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Agree with you about John vs Luke. Even though I know the outcome---the story still gets me! fdb

Mr. Matt said...

Slow day in the boro? Ok, I've got his figured out, you thought of the term Pilate Lite and did a whole post around the pun. Am I right or Am I right? AM I AM

superdave524 said...

Me, too, Frandy.

I'm shocked that you would think an entire post would be all to support a rather lame pun. Shocked. Er... that is correct, A-Man.

Mr. Matt said...

Oh, I respect the pun! You are doing great keep up the good work. YOu know they think your dead over at the IntheSlam sight though.

superdave524 said...

I'll have to visit you there, Brother.

Star said...

See, I don't have to go to church. I can just read SuperDave's blog and get all the churchin' I need.

Talking about visiting, I take it you're not coming to run like a Fool this weekend...

superdave524 said...

Sadly, Star, I am not. Got lots of excuses, but, well, maybe next year...