Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Ya Doesn't Have to Call Me Mr. Johnson.

James J. Brown, a/k/a Professor J.J. Brown, one of my teachers at Stetson Law School, is retiring. He taught Real Property. Stetson was Florida's first law school, and it is among the best trial practice law schools in the country. Professor Brown was part of the reason. 'Course, law school isn't a cake walk, and there was a time when its admissions policy was not as strict as its graduation policy. A lot of folks got in who didn't get out.

When I arrived at Stetson, the admissions policy had become more competitive. They told us at orientation that only about one out of ten college graduates who applied to Stetson was accepted; however, some of the professors there- including Professor Brown- continued under the old model of weeding out the weak students. JJ graded on a bell-shaped curve to get rid of the dross- not what you find in most graduate school programs. A Bell-shaped curve meant that ten percent or so of the class would get A's, maybe fifteen percent would get B's, half the class would get C's, fifteen percent or so would get D's, and ten percent of the class would fail, regardless of what percentage of the material the class as a whole had absorbed. I had a reputation in law school- largely deserved- of being a party guy. My reputation for not studying was actually not deserved, though. I studied a lot. Sadly, since my study time was private and my party time quite public, the professors didn't tag me as a very serious student. I was a former football player, and I was frequently out on the school's softball field. This probably didn't help my reputation much, particularly with JJ. He was a physically slight man, who had MS, and walked with two canes. Add to that my badly timed attempt to work at night for a little spending money, and you have one pretty awful semester.

At the end of my first (or was it my second?) semester, JJ called my into his office and announced that I'd gotten an eighty in his class. An 80 would have been a "D", except that it was the fifth worst grade in the class of 50 students. Ten percent of fifty, if my math is correct, means... well, it meant I'd failed his mandatory class and had to take it again if I wanted to finish law school. I could, of course, leave. No one who'd retaken his class- and at least ten percent of every class he'd taught up to that point had failed it- had ever gotten higher than a "C". I'm no quitter, I told him. He talked to me at length. He was convinced I was a slow learner. "You have a disability", he said, "Just like I do". I'd been Magna Cum Laude at Florida State as an undergraduate, but the couple of years I'd spent at Sewanee hadn't been a wild academic success. Maybe he was right. I'd have to work harder, is all.

I quit my job as a dishwasher at Steak and Ale, told grandma I really did need her help after all, and buckled down. I met with JJ at least every week and reviewed the material. At the end of the semester, I had a 97 average. Of the fifty people in the class, my grade was the sixth best. Which meant I got... a "B plus". No "A". The bell-shaped curve kicked my butt again; however, JJ told me no one who'd ever re-taken his class had done that well. I even used him as a reference. Wait... I didn't get that job. Looks like I'm not that smart afterall.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember a long discussion about who was wrong--you or some teacher. (not sure who) But we decided it really didn't matter because he had the GRADE BOOK in his hand! :) fdb

superdave524 said...

Too true, Frandy. Like Bobby Fuller sang back in the 1960's, "I fought the law, and the law won". Sadly, my own chillun can't seem to learn by my mistakes.

Star said...

Slow-learners and kids with disabilities and athletes can graduate Magna Cum Laude at FSU...that sounds about right. (That's not a jab at you, but the quality education Florida schools provide).

Mr. Matt said...

Ok, there is quality education and poor education where ever you look, never forget most of life is taught outside the school walls.

SuperD, you remember Dad's story of the Bell Curve. He was the only student taking one final exam, he (and mom) studied so hard, he made a 95. It got him a "C." The teacher was using a bell curve, and he was the only student. Sad, but true story.

I never use one of them curves.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

The "Anonymous" under "Mr. Matt's" comment is not me---I initial mine! fdb :)

superdave524 said...

Star, I think JJ's comment was a jab at me. I've probably always been ADD, but I've never been diagnosed with a learning disability. Sewanee (where I had a 2.4 GPA) was, indeed, tougher for me than FSU (where I had a 3.8), but a lot of the reason for that is I sort of gave up at Sewanee. I got better grades early at FSU, and I knew my efforts would be rewarded, so I probably worked harder, too.

Andy, my brother, I hadn't heard that story. I love it!

Frandy, that Anon appeared to be a trolling salesman. I deleted his/her comment.

superdave524 said...

(well, I suppose ADD is a learning disability, but it's given me plenty of energy, anyway!)

COL said...

great story dave. isn't it amazing the difference a good teacher can make?

Anonymous said...

David---As you know, ADD is ATTENTION deficit---not I.Q. deficit!! :) fdb

Anonymous said...

As you know, A.D.D. is ATTENTION deficit, NOT I.Q. deficit! :)

superdave524 said...

Thanks, Col (and Frandy).