Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Target Fan Club.

High School chum Connie Macy tagged me in this FaceBook pic from back in the day. I'm the dude wearing the "Target" shirt. Target didn't refer to the store, but to a band that put out a couple of albums in the mid-seventies. They were the warm-up band when Boston played in Tampa in, like, 1976. As far as I can tell, Target never hit the big-time (Shoot, they don't even have a wikipedia entry, though one of its members, Jimi Jamison, did play with Survivor for awhile (Eye of the Tiger? Remember?)). Me, AndyMan and Dave Okamoto decided that they deserved a fan club, and that we were just the cats to run it. We formed the Target Fan Club and signed up a few hundred students and even some teachers (yes, teachers). We even put out a newsletter. Dave Okamoto (one of the Three Fabulous Daves from Leto HS and Most Creative from the Class of '78), edited the newsletter, and rode that experience into the newspaper industry. The officers in the Target Fan Club included lots of pals from them days: Mitch Brown, Dave Parkes, Adam Rosenburg, Brians Russell and Rhodes. I got to be the President, because I bought their album. I don't think I bought their second one (They had a couple_of_albums, but not a ton of success. Didn't matter). Anyway, it was a blast. I couldn't find my favorite song, 99 1/2, on YouTube, but I did find this one:


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dave---ID others in pic. Me thinks I know the Chap in the garnet and gold striped shirt. :) Gorman w/glasses?? fdb

superdave524 said...

Let's see... Russ, Teresa Sligh, me, Lori Gormin in the top row. Peg Meyer, Eric Hilts, Dave Gormin, Connie Macy, and, I think, John Caramalis in the bottom row. You fed about half of that crowd, at one time or another. Though I don't think Connie or John spent visited you on Hiawatha. Peg might've been there once or twice. Russ spent a fair amount of time with Teresa, but mostly she stayed about a block away, down the street from Shawn Riley and Terry Reese. The others of us could've (probably should've) paid you rent!

Anonymous said...

No rent required----we loved it! :) You are right---don't remember Connie or John. fdb

jrtnutt said...

What a cutie you were :)

superdave524 said...

Thanks, Tam. Gravity and time have done me dirty, but I still like to have fun.