Friday, January 8, 2010

America: Love it, or Leavitt


According to a report I got from the Sports Illustrated e-mag University of South_Florida_Coach_Jim_Leavitt got fired for slapping a player, then lying about it. USF didn't have a football team when I was growing up in Tampa. If you wanted to watch college football, you went to Tampa Stadium and watched the IAA (now known as the "Football Championship Subdivision", as opposed to the "Football Bowl Subdivision") University of Tampa Spartans. What? You never knew that Tampa Stadium hosted a football team before the Bucs got there in the mid-1970's? Tell it to Freddie Solomon. I remember dad taking me and AndyMan to a Spartans game (I also remember he walked up to then-governor Reuben Askew, shook his hand and said, "Hey, Reuben! How's a boy?". He'd never met the man, as far as I know, but, well, dad did stuff like that). I met Jim Leavitt when AndyMan was working the gate at a Jesuit HS football game. Seemed like a decent enough sort. 'Course, football coaches aren't paid to be sweet and loving, they're paid to make dudes knock the crud out of other dudes. I played football for 12 years or so, including a couple of years at a small college, and, off-the-record, I've seen a little coach induced not-strickly-football-related physical contact during that time. Ah, well. For better and for worse, those were different times. But, not THAT different. Just ask Woody Hayes. Leavitt'll probably find work, because he managed to win some ball games. Shoot, his Bulls even beat Florida State this year. Yeah, he'll find work. No Bull. I understand Texas Tech is hiring...

4 comments:

Chase Squires said...

Why can't football be as civilized as hockey?

superdave524 said...

What's the old joke, Chase? I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out!

Star said...

Here's the latest on that: http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/jan/11/leavitt-wants-job-back-says-firing-usf-unwarranted/.

He's trying to get his job back. But if it were me, I'd say "screw it!" I hear USC is looking for a coach...

superdave524 said...

Thanks for the update, Star. Hope things go well for the Bulls.