Saturday, February 14, 2009

Gran Torino.

I went to see the new Clint Eastwood flick, Gran Torino, last night in the Boro. I liked it a lot. Clint plays Walt Kowalski, a recently widowed Polish-American retired autoworker, living in a neighborhood whose complexion has changed dramatically over the years. Walt's a bitter old dude. He and his family are estranged. He and his Church are estranged. He and his neighborhood are estranged. Walt measures his world in "us versus them": he tells racists jokes; hisHmong neighbors are "gooks" or "slants"; a trio of African-American punks are "spooks"; Men who don't meet their manly duties are "pussies"; even Walt's friends are Irish "Micks" or Italian "Wops". Among (or, perhaps, in a nod to the predominant cultural group in the movie, I could say a Hmong) the conflicts wound through the movie were: would innocent neighbor teen Thao be co-opted into the Hmong gang? Would Walt go to confession? Would Walt and his family reconcile? Would Walt whip up on the gangs? Who would get Walt's highly coveted 1972 mint condition Gran Torino? Would Walt keep everybody off of his lawn?

I've enjoyed Clint over the years, and, in quality and thoughtfulness this one was up there with Unforgiven. I'd say Clint has evolved quite a bit over the years. There are still lots of bullets, but now being the dude with the "most powerful handgun in the world" doesn't make you the good guy. Walt's no pussy; he's proof that "real men" can find redemption.

7 comments:

Mr. Matt said...

I too liked Gran Torino. Clint did a few too many "evil looks" though. That was just hookey. Also, calling people names isn't tough, it just shows ignorance, in real life a 70+ year old man trying that crap would rightfully get his ass kicked.

Those things aside, it's a good movie.

kate said...

I heard two people (one a minister) say that Clint's character was Christlike at the end. Sacrificing himself for the good of the innocent or something? Apparently even his arms were spread out?

I don't know. I didn't see it. But the commercials cracked me up because seriously, he's the only old guy I know who could make a gun shooting thingy with his hands and not come off as laughable.

superdave524 said...

The tough-guy looks were occasionally a bit much, Ange, but I think Clint played the aging role right credibly (and nobody does venomous looks better'n Clint).

Definitely, Kate. I agree with the minister. Clint's always played eye for an eye, fight fire with firepower dudes, but takes a twist. Unforgiven was about the senselessness of violence. This one goes a step farther: Maybe they could call this one "Forgiven".

Chase Squires said...

I feel like such a lightweight for going to see Friday the 13th this week ... hey, it was free.

superdave524 said...

I know you did, Chase; I read your review in Chase's Dirty Thoughts. I almost saw Friday 13th myself. In a bad dad moment, I sent the Lads to see it (since I bought the tickets, I guess the management credited me with being there with them) and went one room over to see Clint (I'd walked right in and sat down, unaware that the end of the previous movie hadn't arrived. I figured it out pretty quick though: it was the end of Bride Wars; not a very Clint-esque flick). I probably should have told them your review: they didn't like it either (even though they're 13 and there were lots of boobs). They said it wasn't scary and was "dumb".

Star said...

That one is on our list of movies to see.

Happy VD to you too, Super Dave! May VD keep giving and giving...

superdave524 said...

And a song to celebrate...