Saturday, February 21, 2009

Easy?

A few months ago, I bought an oven. The one that came with the house had a couple of broken burners, and the bottom element in the oven didn't work either. The old oven was also, even by bachelor standards, nasty. My new one works fine, but it has been accumulating grime. Not huge deposits, but certainly a noticeable amount of it. According to this old, rusted can, that my babymamma must have bought (in which case, it is at least nine years old), cleaning the oven will be easy.

Easy like this?

The directions for use say I'm supposed to wear rubber gloves. Hmmm. Looks like Tina musta taken those with her. Ah, here's one. No mate, but no matter. Now, let's get to work.

Well, that doesn't look that good. And it wasn't even easy. Guess I shoulda used it eight years or so ago.

16 comments:

jrtnutt said...

Dave, you didn't buy a self cleaning oven?

superdave524 said...

Nope, Tam. It cost more.

jrtnutt said...

Ok, yeah they do, but then you have to clean it. I hate cooking anyway so I don't dirty mine too much. LOL

John in IL said...

So it's not like this? You can't just wipe that shit off?

QuakerJono said...

Dude! WTF are you cooking that it's that messed up after only a "few months" of baking?

John in IL said...

MG, the Quaker lives.

superdave524 said...

Love the commercial, John. And, no, it didn't work like that. Mostly it just sat there doing nothing.

QJ, I think it's chicken grease. I've roasted a fair number of chickens of late. Pizzas are well behaved. I don't blame the pizzas.

Star said...

Wait, that is a pic of the NEW oven? Looks like you're roasting more than just chickens in there...

jrtnutt said...

Well I didn't want to say anything but since everyone has,I'm with Star, I am not sure what you were cooking in that thing but my stove is about 13 years old and it doesn't look like that. Dave, get one of those aluminum liners and put in the bottom. You can roast a chicken or two without all that mess.

superdave524 said...

I'll give either of you twenty bbucks to do it for me.

superdave524 said...

(a bbuck is like a buck but with worse typing).

Chase Squires said...

Okay, second time trying to type this, blogger booted me out ...

So here's your problem, you're not approaching this like a MAN would. One can of Easy-Off and "following the directions" didn't pay off?

No worries. You obviously need 4 or 5 cans, or maybe more, and you spray 'em in there all at once.

Done.

jrtnutt said...

well you would have to pay to fly me up there, feed me, house me. And with that money you could just buy a self cleaning oven. I bet if there was a woman in the house, that baby would be self cleaning.

superdave524 said...

You got that right, Chase.

(you're probably right, too, Tam, but I'm not giving up my remote...)

John in IL said...

now this reminds me of good ol' grandma. She sprinkled salt on the bottom of the oven to keep the flames down. More self preserving than self cleaning.

superdave524 said...

John, your grandma sounds like a woman after my own heart.