Friday, February 27, 2009

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.

Among the "Here's a topic. Discuss" gimmicks that is making the rounds on Facebook of late is "Name your top 15 Albums". Got me to thinking: music matters, but maybe not in the same way it did "back in the day". The way we listen to music has changed a lot over the years. Not just vinyl albums to cds to digital music on the computer or MP3 players, but that's part of it. Part of it, too, is the "music on demand" nature of i-Tunes and dominance of virtual culture. Radio stations used to dictate the music we heard. Sure, we could, if we were very lucky, get through to the studio with a request for a song, but generally we listened to what they gave us. It was a shared experience. Sure, album sales may have dictated, to a degree, what music was played within a given format; but probably to a greater degree, the albums we bought were dictated by the music that the radio stations played. The release of a new album by a popular artist was an anticipated event. In the early-1970's, Elton John was king. I didn't have all of his albums, but I had a bunch. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road was Elton's first double album, and its release was an event. I loved this album, and that's a good thing, because in the Summer of 1974, there was no escaping it. "Bennie and the Jets", "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road", and "Harmony" were omnipresent. I remember walking the beach in Clearwater (or was it Ben T. Davis Municipal Beach in Tampa?) and hearing three different songs from that album on three different radio stations at the same time. Good times. Good times. The video below is just the song and the album cover. Just like back in the day.

7 comments:

Star said...

FB sure makes you sentimental and nostalgic, doesn't it?

I want to do that list, but will need some time to think about it. Armando already did his list...

superdave524 said...

Don't overthink it, Star, or you'll end up listing what you ought to have listed instead of the real thing.

Star said...

Oh don't worry. I haven't had time to think lately...

Jersey Girl 46 said...

I am a lurker but this post really brought back memories. I walked Clearwater Beach back in the day listening to WLCY and Elton. My neighborhood was big on going places as a group. We would cruise out there and lay on the sand and look at the stars.. (ahem)... Thanks for the jolt back to memory lane.

John in IL said...

it is a lot more democratic now (and to borrow kate's phrase), just sayin'.

Chase Squires said...

I don't miss the old ways, and I don't miss the old radio stations ... okay, mine was WBCN, FM 104 Boston ... maybe I miss it a little.

Today, I love Myspace for it's music. I live on local music. I love finding new bands. And screw who the record companies think I should listen to ....

rock out...Denver music,

www.myspace.com/skyfox

www.myspace.com/dancraigmusic

www.myspace.com/kinetixmusic

check out Dan Craig's site (the middle one), his new EP has a song about sir Thomas Moore ... yeah, from Henry VIII ... and, whoa, it's a good song, and the lyrics are amazing, and historical.

f u old music industry. Locals bring it.

South Carolina, stand up and take a bow for the Explorer's Club!

www.myspace.com/explorersclub

superdave524 said...

Good to see you, Jersey Girl. I'm glad you enjoyed the post. Stop in any time.

John, it is, in theory, more democratic, and the changes aren't all bad.

Chase, you're lucky to have a vibrant music scene there. I s'pose I could head up to Chucktown to sample quasi-local fare. Thanks also for the suggestions. Explorer's Club does, indeed, rock.