Tuesday, February 3, 2009

25 Things.

Got a Facebook thing where you get tagged and are supposed to list 25 things about yourself. A little self-indulgent, perhaps, but since I've already done it, I figured I might as well post it. Might as well destroy the tiny bit of dignity I had left.

25 things.

1. When I was a lad, my pop always told me I was born next to a little Indian child in Billings, Montana. My birth certificate confirms only the Billings, Montana part.

2. Mostly, I love being a public defender. Mostly.

3. I ran for the South Carolina statehouse in 2000, and lost by 150 or so votes, out of about 15,000.

4. Being a dad is my favorite thing in the whole world. I've got four kids. Three boys and a girl, and my identical 13 yoa twins live with me.

5. I've read the Bible almost every night of my life since I was in fifth grade. I've probably read it though four or five times. I've read the Apocrypha twice.

6. I've probably broken six of the Ten Commandments, but I'm not telling which six.

7. My mom was a nun.

8. My dad was not a nun.

9. My brother is an amazing ultra-runner and a really good teacher and father.

10. I tried to write a novel once. It was truly awful.

11. I wrestled and played football in college. I was a decent football player, but a bad wrestler.

12. I'm really bad with money.

13. I never drink more than three drinks a day (but sometimes I pour 'em big).

14. I've lost a home to foreclosure.

15. As a public defender, I've never had a client convicted of murder after trial (4 and 0 here. 1 and 0 in Beaufort). That'll change eventually.

16. I washed out of Marine Officer Candidate School at age 27. I'm a lot of things, but not a Marine.

17. I've been on my church vestry twice, I've taught Sunday School, I've been a Cub Scout leader, I've served on a First Steps Board for Early Childhood Development, I've volunteered teaching a debate team for high school kids.

18. I've been divorced for eight years after being married for 14.

19. I was expelled from school in 6th and 7th grade, and cut school at least ten times a quarter in eighth grade.

20. I don't practice law in federal court; I hate business law and office practice, and mostly don't understand tax law.

21. Among the cases I've won on appeal was a Federal Court of Appeals case, Collins Holding Corporation v. Jasper County, which is a business licence tax case.

22. My favorite movie is "My Cousin Vinny".

23. My favorite song is "Copperhead Road".

24. I love to eat.

25. I hope to complete a marathon in 2009.

You want dignity? Here you go:

6 comments:

Mr. Matt said...

26. Your brother really looks up to you and loves you.

superdave524 said...

Thank you, My Brother. I love you, too.

Star said...

Interesting stuff about you. My reply to:

#13: It wouldn't take three drinks the way I make 'em.

#23: I can teach you a fun line dance to that song

#25: There is no "try"...only do or not do. (I read that somewhere).

superdave524 said...

Sounds like a party to me, Star. Tell you what: you can make the drinks and teach the dance after I finish my marathon.

Star said...

You have a deal. Now, when is that marathon, again?

superdave524 said...

Still deciding. Probably Kiawah.