Monday, June 7, 2010

Plague of Frogs.

God gave Moses and Aaron some interesting plagues to scare some sense into the Egyptians: Blood in the water, boils, locusts, hail, darkness, and even mosquitoes and gadflies. My favorite, though, is the plague of the frogs. If you'll check your Bible at Exodus, Chapter 7, verses 26-29. I'll wait... What? Your King James or New International Version stops at verse 25? You can pick it up beginning in Chapter 8, if you want, or go get a New Jerusalem Bible. Mom made sure I had lots of resources in my Bible study, including the Jerusalem Bible and the Apocrypha. Here's what you missed:

"26 Then Yahweh said to Moses, 'Go to Pharaoh and say to him, "Yahweh says this: Let my people go and worship me.
27 If you refuse to let them go, I shall strike your whole territory with frogs.
28 The River will swarm with frogs; they will make their way into your palace, into your bedroom, onto your bed, into the houses of your officials and subjects, into your ovens, into your kneading bowls.
29 The frogs will actually clamber onto you, onto your subjects and onto all your officials." '

Okay, now I get why "You'd better listen, or I'll send frogs" was a threat!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

When any of us are at the farm in Spring/Summer it has long been an activity of the Grands to go on the porches after dark and count the little green frogs.(see picture) I think the record is 42 on the front porch,not sure. I AM sure that you and Diane can beat that!
p.s.You KNOW I have to do this---"Egyptions"?!? :) fdb

superdave524 said...

42 Frogs! That's a lot of frogs! We've got quite a few, but I've never counted close to that many. As to the spelling: what? I don't know about which you are talking! (okay, I went and cleaned it up after your note. I'd also mis-spelled "Apochrypha" so badly that I had to mis-spell it again for spell-check to recognize it as a word. I guess you can take the teacher out of the class-room, but you can't take the class-room out of the teacher).

Anonymous said...

I was speaking of that "chorus" in your back yard! (of frogs)......and I didn't catch the "apocrypha", so I guess I'm not as smart as I would like to be! :) fdb

superdave524 said...

Join the crowd, Frandy. Join the crowd.

Mr. Matt said...

Holy Jumping Frogs!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7As_q6PSKSM

Lynne said...

F.R.O.G. Forever Rely on God, and Happy 50th !

Oh, and I'm not there yet : )

superdave524 said...

That's a bunch of frogs, Ange.

I do, Lynne (and you're not even close to fifty).