Sunday, June 27, 2010

Leaving Las Vegas.

Lady Di and I invaded Las Vegas last week. Las Vegas is WAY different from the rural lowcountry of South Carolina, as you might imagine. The Boro is in the Southeast, with a moderate amount of rain and plenty of pine and oak trees. Blue laws prohibit lots of stuff that Palmetto State denizens deem immoral, like gambling, drinking on Sundays and other, ahem... "unseemly" activities. What's the first thing we saw after we landed in Nevada? Gambling machines aplenty.

The Boro is pretty flat and plenty verdant; unlike the desert mountains of Nevada.

But it's the man-made mountains that people come to Vegas to see. This was the view out of our room. Not too shabby!


This is one side of The Flamingo hotel, where we stayed. Only Las Vegas could make Donny and Marie Osmond cool! There were lots of shows throughout the town. We thought about seeing Cher, but at $95 a pop to sit in the cheap seats, we passed (I'm actually waiting for a show with her and her impersonators: Cher and Cher alike).

Did we gamble? Well, yeah, a little. High rollers we were not. Counting our sports-related betting, Diane lost about twenty bucks; I probably made about three. Still, with the four or five free drinks we got over the week, we didn't do too badly.


You mighta heard about the buffets in Las Vegas. Lady Di is no fan of the genre, because you always end up over-eating. I AM a fan, and since Diane was in seminars for a few of the days, well... Suffice it to say, I desperately have to get back to the gym. After a nosh, it was off to see The Strip.



The acres of excess were staggering to note. Statutes of Liberty, Eiffel Towers, Huge MnMs. The money, time and talent that went into this place- and the cost to maintain it- is mind-boggling.




My favorite activity just about anywhere I go is watching people. Outside of eating, gambling and going to shows, the top activity in Vegas has to be taking pictures. I wonder if anybody took a picture of me, taking this picture? It wasn't all just happy tourists, though. Make no mistake about it: the House almost always wins. Luck is not always a lady.

This guy said he lost his job and was trying to get money to find work in Denver. He didn't mind if I took his picture, as long as I got the sign, too.
These guys were everywhere, shoving pamphlets at you, advertising the availability of another of Las Vegas' services that you won't find so patently present almost anywhere else. They don't call it Sin City for nothing. He let me take his picture if I took a pamphlet. Don't worry, I didn't call the number!



We left The Strip, and headed for Old Las Vegas. We rode the bus with a few of Diane's convention companions, and saw some of the areas of Sin City that are a little less Chamber of Commerce ready. Old Las Vegas was lots of fun. Here are some pics:








One of our best (and cheapest) meals was at a diner in Old Las Vegas. I had a meatloaf and mashed potato sandwich, and Diane had the turkey dinner. We split a slice of cherry pie. Janet took good care of us.


Our last night in Las Vegas, we met up with old buddy, David Stitt, who's lived in the Vegas suburbs for a few months now.

The guacamole was impressively presented and right tasty (but not as good as either AndyMan's or Lady Di's).


For all the lights and sights, this was our favorite spot: a bench in the Flamingo courtyard.


And here we are together. "Awww", huh?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved your pictures and observations. That food looked great, BUT the meatloaf & mashed potato sandwich got me---two of my favorites...and portable! Couldn't believe David Stitt was out there.
We went on a 3 day cruise once and Leo and I gambled away a whole roll of dimes! :) Talk about high rollers. I am sure they were glad to see us get off of that ship! fdb

superdave524 said...

Thanks, Frandy. David seems in his element, and is doing great. Gambling a roll of dimes? Now that's the stuff! I signed up for a "Total Rewards" program (in order to get $5 off on the buffet, plus five dollars in machine credits), wherein they track your gambling and give credits toward merchandise. You spend a certain amount; you get a t-shirt. I inquired about my credit just before I left. Nine cents. High roller, indeed.

Anonymous said...

You win !!!!! LOL :) fdb

Star said...

Thanks for the tour Superdave! I feel like I've been there without even losing a dime :)

superdave524 said...

Some contest, Frandy.

Thanks, Star. If you really want to feel like you were there, crank up the heat, puff out some cigarette smoke, and suck all the humidity out of the air, while you throw your money in the street (but it really was fun).

Anonymous said...

Viva Rock Vegas!

Fred and Barney

superdave524 said...

Da-huh-huh-huh. Gee, I don't know, Fred.

COL said...

adorbs pic of di and dave at the bottom there!

superdave524 said...

Thanks, Col.