Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The Chipmunks.


We don't have chipmunks in the Lowcountry of South Carolina. I haven't seen any, anyway. They look plenty cute to me; but my more knowledgeable neighbors up in Michigan know chipmunks pretty well, and they tell me chipmunks are T-R-O-U-B-L-E. "They eat the flower bulbs", says Norb Esper, moderately famous spouse of Lady Di's sister, Sue.
I saw this little guy holding court at Sue and Norb's. Norb eased out an air-rifle. "I got something for you, Punk" (well, Norb didn't actually say that, but I could tell he was thinking it). Let me tell you: those suckers are fast. Quicker than you could say "Jack Robinson", the diminutive rodent had taken it on the lam. Gone, baby, gone. I'm pretty sure I saw the little fellow flip Norb the bird as he left.

4 comments:

Mr. Matt said...

The Beckster likes to take pictures of Chipmunks in all the states she visits. I like chipmunks, but I never take pictures of them... anymore. Back when cameras had film I was traveling near the Jackson Lake Lodge, in Beautiful Jakson Wyoming, and saw a majestic moose, knee deep in a stream munching on foilage, antlers wider than the grin on Simease twins faces at a two-for-one sale. Dad and I were the first ones on the scene, but I was not able to take a picture, as my last shot had been used on a random chipmunk roadside. I hate chipmunks! (not really, I just don't take pictures of them anymore)

superdave524 said...

Good tale, Ange. I still regret not going with y'all on that trip...

Mr. Matt said...

You didn't have to go, I brought home the picture of the chipmunk!

superdave524 said...

Reminds me of one of mom's jokes:

Food critic hears about this monastary famous for its English fare, particularly its fish and chips. He makes the arduous trip up the mountain and knocks on the door. "Is this the fish Friar?" he asks. "No", said the brother, "I'm the chip Monk".