Monday, April 26, 2010

roadtrip charleston

Lady Di and I started Saturday morning with a bang: we completed the Colleton County Rice Festival Rice Run 5K. She beat most of the walkers with an under 15-minute mile pace, and I managed to finish in just under 30 minutes. Another Clydesdale (er, heavy runner) and I lumbered along back and forth through most of the race. He beat me by a step. 'Course, we both got "chicked" by a 11-year old girl who scooted in front of us right at the end (here're the Results, if you're in to that sorta stuff). Yeah, yeah. Still, I bet I coulda beat her in a wing-eating contest!

After cleaning up a bit, we were off to The Holy City (that's Charleston, for the uninitiated) for lunch with one of Diane's most favorite former peers, Liz, and her husband, Charles, and the Med Bistro on James Island. From there we caught a movie, The Joneses, at the Terrace Theatre. The anti-conspicuous consumption message of the movie was evidently lost upon us; as we trundled off to to more shopping. I got a pair of cool new shoes at Phillips Shoes (I might show those off tomorrow).

We were playing the numbers, as you can see. Actually, do to the reckless action of a mean-spirited mailbox, we needed new numbers to go on the new mailbox and post we bought.

We like wild birds. We don't much care for squirrels. Neither do the people at the Wild Bird Store (squirrel-esque beard on the clerk notwithstanding).

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like such a fun trip----makes me smile. Isn't it great to have someone to do things with who is so compatable!?! Even mundane things (mailbox!) become a pleasure. :) fdb

Star said...

1st, CONGRATS on finishing another run!

I agree with fdb: Finding that person to do things with makes life more...smiley :)

superdave524 said...

True, Frandy. Lady Di's fun to do simple things with. Fun-dane?

Thanks, Star. 'Course, you and your ultra-marathon crowd do a five K on your way back to the car after a run. What was it? Fifty miles Saturday night? Yeesh!

Mr. Matt said...

I remember one of the few times that I got back into running. I was running a 5K in Orlando for a break as I was working at a sales convention. I was a veteran of many triathlons and a couple of marathons, I thought was all of that. But, I hadn't been training much (at all) and I was drinking a little (a lot), but I still had high expectations of winning an award at this 5K. And had I been a 10 year old African-American female, I would have come in second in that specific divison!

So, I remember, I know. Course I still don't win many awards, it just takes me a lot longer not to!

Sounds like fun. See you in a month, and that's a promise :)

superdave524 said...

You da Man, A-man!

Mr. Matt said...

I may be the man, but as the man, I did not come in 2nd (or 3rd, or 4th or 5th or 6th in my specific division!)

superdave524 said...

I'd've done better as a younger man (or an older woman). The dude with whom I crossed the finish-line came in second in the 20-25 men group. Or I could've won as a 70 plus woman (but I wouldn't've placed in the 70 plus men). Sadly, my next stop, (gulp) 50- 55 age group, is one of the most competitive.