Thursday, June 11, 2009

Stealing Smackdown: Two

Star suggested Jane's Addiction's "Been Caught Stealing" (Col has also referred to it not long back). It's got to be the early favorite:



John recommended Dr. Berniece Johnson's religious thievery, "Steal Away to Jesus". It good, soulful, stuff (you can tell be the earnest white guy's expression):



Dead Kennedy's- Stealing People's Mail at least has the benefit of being very short:



Ben Harper's Stealing Kisses:




"Rob and Steal" by Paul Wine Jones was an unexpected cool bluesy find:



Jimmy Buffett's Great Filling Station Holdup cost him two good years (In SC, it'd cost him at least ten):




Lonely Island's "The Heist" is a funny faux-rap video with an, er, unexpected ending. The stick figures somehow add to the charm:



That probably more than we need. I might need some help picking out the four or five best.

6 comments:

Mr. Matt said...

well, I don't have a soundcard on my computer, evidently they didn't start adding those until the 70's, so don't ask me. But I did notice that "You are a Magnet, and I am Steel" Isn't on there. that's a wonderful little steeling tune.

superdave524 said...

I actually thought about it, Ange.

Star said...

Gotta give some credit for the name "Dead Kennedy's," but I'm sticking with Jane.

superdave524 said...

Dead Kennedys were a punk band back in the day. Short, loud rock songs like the stuff the Ramones did.

kate said...

I saw Dead Kennedy's lead singer Jello Biafra give a speech about the government the night I got engaged back in 1991. Good times.

But I'm going with Ben Harper. Always loved that song and it sounds like Jack Johnson is playing guitar.

Solid.

superdave524 said...

Ben's good, but there's always room for Jello.