Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Road Smackdown: Part I

Internet friend John suggested a Roger Miller smackdown after yesterday's "King of the Road" post. Now I dig Roger Miller, but for my money "Dang Me" and "Chug-a-Lug" just can't compete with "King of the Road". Still, John was onto something: there are a lot of good "Road" songs. Steve Earle's Copperhead Road is maybe my favorite, but it's not eligible (embedding disabled). "Road to Nowhere" by Talking Heads/David Byrne isn't not too shabby:



Six Days on the Road by Red Sovine has been covered by a bunch of folks, but I like Sawyer Brown's version about the best:



The Eagles know something about the road. They've lived in the fastlane:



Way back in the stone-age, I was jamming to Deep Purple's Highway Star:



That's a few of 'em. Bet you guys can come up with a few, too.

8 comments:

John in IL said...

Lindsey Buckingham and Holiday Road from National Lampoon's Vacation. Great song and great movie.

superdave524 said...

Excellent choice, John.

Chase Squires said...

Bob Seger, "Git outta Denver" ... baby, go, go ....

superdave524 said...

Or Seger's "Turn the Page". I haven't been to Denver in years, Chase, but with songs like that, OD'd in Denver, Rocky Mountain High, and Things to do in Denver When You're Dead it seems like there might be a Denver smackdown in the future. What do you think?

Chase Squires said...

Hmmm, rock and roll, baby ... I can even add some newer stuff ... Meese ("Kids of the frozen Front Range, carry the message if I fall") ... and if we want to go country, "Coast of Colorado"

superdave524 said...

Denver slam is definitely gonna happen.

COL said...

thunder road -- bruce springsteen
roadhouse blues -- the doors
road -- nick drake
on the road again -- willie nelson
middle of the road -- the pretenders
the long and winding road -- the beatles
heartbreak road -- bill withers

superdave524 said...

Awesome, Col! I had four of those in mind, but seven is way cool.