Saturday, May 2, 2009

Cooking with Gaston.


After a night of fine revelry, I dragged my sorry carcas out to the Great Swamp Sanctuary for a three mile trot with the Gator Chasers. I was not in top form, due to aforemention revelry, but I'd kinda promised a couple of friends I'd be there. They didn't show, but I still looked forward to the comradrie that the running club typically engenders. Then the new guy runs up. "Hey, guys. I just finished a three mile warm up, and I'm ready to rock". There aren't a bunch of runners that are bigger than I am, but this dude was. The dude was chisled, with an easy smile and an assassin's heart (sorry, John, no pix). I wanted to kill him. Sadly, I couldn't catch him, and even if I could, he probably could have caused me grievous bodily harm. The group naturally separates into the first, second, and sometimes third, tiers, but always we stop at the half-way point and chat a minute before we take off again. Not today. Studly Hungwell, there, hardly slowed at the mid-point, and them that could, kept running. In my sorry state I limped on in on my own. Not much fun, this run. If Gaston shows again, I'm whipping out the i-Pod.

8 comments:

jrtnutt said...

Don't let people like that intimidate you. Do what you know your body can handle and no more.
I thought it was funny you promised your friends you would be there and then they did'nt show. I have friends like that too.

Glad you got out and ran. I wish my knees could handle the running. Walking is boring and takes to long...but I still have to do it.
:)

superdave524 said...

Right you are, Tam. Keep on walkin'

Mr. Matt said...

Shoot, tell your boy he needs to come down this-a-way on MLK day and run the Croom Zoom 100 without taking a break! Bet he can't!

superdave524 said...

I'm absolutely positive you're right, A-Man.

John in IL said...

No pics of Studly but you'll take pics of your food. I see where your priorities are.

superdave524 said...

Sad, John, but true.

Star said...

I find that those guys make nice rabbits when I'm struggling in a race. But, I could see why that may not work for you.

And for some reason, this picture of Brad Pitt's character Chad Feldheimer from "Burn After Reading" comes to mind...

superdave524 said...

I'll try to keep that in mind, Star.