Thursday, May 7, 2009

Liar, Liar/All of Me.

I recently watched three of my favorite comedic actors in movies with pretty similar themes: Steve Martin and Lilly Tomlin in 1984's "All of Me" and Jim Carrey in 1997's "Liar, Liar". Martin is attorney Roger Cobb, and Carrey is attorney Fletcher Reede. The movies have so many things in common, that "Liar, Liar" could almost be called a remake of "All of Me". Both Cobb and Reede are unfulfilled in their personal lives, and both are looking to make partner in their powerhouse lawfirms. Shoot, the movies even shared an actor: Chubby-cheeked Jason Bernard appeared in both of them- as blind musician side-kick Tyrone Wattell in All of Me, and as the judge in the courtroom scenes in Liar, Liar. He was pretty good in both of 'em. The biggest connection between the movies- the perception that the best club in any attorney's proverbial golf bag is a disdain for the truth- is thoroughly mined, and undermined, in both movies. Cobb loses his ability to lie in court because Lilly Tomlin's Edwina Cutwater, who is supernaturally co-inhabiting his body, won't let him. Here's part of the courtroom scene from that one (I'm getting ready to go on a roadtrip, and am in a bit of a hurry, so my camera work is pretty bad in both these clips):



Carrey's Reede is also supernaturally prevented from lying in court.



Hmmm. Could Carrey actually be an incarnation of Martin? Just askin'.

I'm leaving this afternoon to travel to Sewanee, TN, to see oldest son graduate. Next week is a term of criminal court. I'll try to check in, but posts could be sporadic for the next week or so.

10 comments:

COL said...

not guilty!

superdave524 said...

Col, you were ever only a "person of interest"; never a defendant.

Chase Squires said...

road trip? where?

superdave524 said...

Sewanee, Tennessee, about midway between Chattanooga and Nashville. I's gonna leave today, but work was a, er, was stressful today, so the Lads and I'll leave in the morning.

Mr. Matt said...

The truckstop in Mt. Eagle, a must see!

Hey, I thought Star convinced you to get rid of the ham, yet that's all I see in that post (he shoots, he scores!Zing!)

kate said...

Nice. Congrats on the graduating son thing.

My favorite line in All of Me is in the beginning, when they're sitting around the table and Steve Martin goes, "Is everyone here - bananas?"

I use it often. Oh yes, I do.

superdave524 said...

Ange, the ham will remain.

Yeah, Kate, it was cool. Rob Reiner was right in the thick of it, so you know it had to be good.

superdave524 said...

(I'll do something on the graduation when I get back, but not too much, since I just did convocation there a couple of months ago).

jrtnutt said...

Dave, have a safe trip and congrats on your son's success.

superdave524 said...

Thanks, Tam.