Sunday, May 17, 2009

Glory Days.

I was going through a bunch of old stuff yesterday and found this old ad I'd bought in my unsuccessful bid for the Statehouse. When this ad came out, the only thing that the locals cared about was the slit in my (ex)wife's skirt. Apparently it got more votes than it lost, so I guess it was a good mistake. The good news: I won my County against a guy who'd had the support of the political establishment, and I only spent about two grand. The bad news: I lost the election by about one percent of the vote, based on the results in the two other counties that the district included. By the end of the Summer, Tina and I'd separated, but she worked hard on the campaign, and it was a lot of fun.

8 comments:

Chase Squires said...

You look every bit the Southern politician ... Yeah, I can see why the dress caused a stir in South Carolina!!

superdave524 said...

You oughta know, Chase, you've paid your SC dues. Oh, and yesterday the Citadel shut out the College of Charleston in baseball for the first time since, like, 1938.

Chase Squires said...

Rock on, Go Dawgs ... I wore a Citadel singlet for the marathon today, got it from the track team for making a donation!

... Yep, first job out of college was at the Greenwood Index-Journal, and later worked four years at the Spartanburg Herald-Journal .. glad both are still in biz today!

QuakerJono said...

Capable.
Caring.
Honest.

Sorta makes you sound like Nuprin.

superdave524 said...

El Cid is having a really good year in sports. Won 20 games this year, I think . Sadly, the SoCon tourney was in Chattanooga, so the Charleston squads sat home come bracket-time.

Yeah, QJ, or maybe a laxative, which, given the political backdrop, might be more appropriate.

John in IL said...

I would have voted for the hoo ha (and Matlock)if I lived there.

superdave524 said...

Thanks, John (and if you'd've brought 150 or so like-minded friends with you, I'd've won).

kate said...

I would have voted for the hoo-ha too.

And I saw Prince of Tides the other day and immediately thought of you. Southern in the best sense of the word!