Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Teenagers...



The lads turn 13 next month. They're the last boats on my armada of foals, and the last to enter the teenage years. Terrible twos? Bah! I scoff at your troubles. Wait, just wait, until your little angels hit the threatening thirteens. The twins are already exhibiting the characteristics of the teen years: selective hearing and memory loss; the inability to see clothes hampers, dirt, or mess;


and the inability to find glasses or cups after one use of said glasses or cups. The twelve vessels at left accumulated in less than four hours. Three residents. Twelve glasses. Four hours. Sadly, because they are males, these traits might never disappear. On the good side, their sense of sarcasm is growing, as is a healthy disrespect for authority.

It's not all bad, really. The lads and I baked a bundt cake this weekend (it's good, too!). I guess it beat doing their school project.

10 comments:

Lynne said...

Super Dave, I will admit, I am very lucky when it comes to cleanliness with my fifteen year old. He washes his own clothes and very often does the dishes. His room is always immaculate.

When he was about ten or so, he began making his lunch.

On the other hand, his sarcasm and disrespect accelerate by the minute.

We must also be grateful that we have normal children !

kate said...

I will be looking to you for advice for a long, long time.

Mr. Matt said...

Dave, your problem? You own too many glasses! Never are more than 6 glasses in the sink at my pad, why? I only own 6. Watch Fight Club again (then get it back to me!) "The things you own, end up owning you!" Of course when you've been kicked out of as many living spaces as I have, you tend to pare it down a smidge, eh gov'na, eh?

superdave524 said...

Lynne, AndyMan tells me you are a great mom, and it sure sounds like it. I know that I am very lucky for my kids and for a lot of other things. Sarcasm must be endured, but it's really a little thing. A small rebellion to help them learn to be independant.

Kate, that's a huge compliment. Thanks. I look to you for advice a lot. This parenting thing is tough, and we need all the help we can get.

Ange, I left a lot of junk in Ridgeland, and Tina got a ton of it, too. My addiction to "stuff" is abating, but I still jones for nice vessels from time to time.

Anonymous said...

andyman has the right idea. My house: Four glasses(he must have more visitors than I do). Two mugs(there's always that possibility of coffee for two in the morning; don't laugh). One plate(in case of emergency).

my friend Amy said...

Boys who bake will do well in life.
Aren't those YOUR tightie whities on the floor next to the hamper under Tyler's shirt?

Lynne said...

Nah, Dave usually wears colored ones.

my friend Amy said...

Sorry Lynne, I'm pretty sure I bought him that pair on the floor.

my friend Amy said...

And why are underpants plural? And why do we refer to them as pairs?

Anonymous said...

Give me a pair of scissors. I've got some singularizing to do.