Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Re-Cycling

No, not that kind...

...not that one...

Yep, that's the one.

I've never been a recycler. Never. I remember visiting Sister Mom and the utter sisters in Eureka, and getting some schooling in the matter. These nuns were amazingly tolerant of everything. A church they visited had both a cross and a yin-yang symbol. I kid you not. Tried to argue that the whole good/evil in all things seems kind of inconsistent with the whole God/devil duality. Try to understand, they'd say. Capital punishment is cruel, and we should respect the sanctity of life in all things, they'd say. But two things really got their goat. I learned the hard way. First of all, I made the mistake of jay-walking in downtown Eureka. Jay-walking. As in, crossing the street not at an intersection. No cars in either direction. I start to cross the road. Hey, now! Get back here! That's jay-walking! I started to look for the host of the Tonight Show. No, they were talking to me. Jay-walk in MY town? I don't think so, Scooter!

The other mortal sin? Well, we'd had one of those family-size frozen lasagnas. Stouffer's, I think. I was helping to clean up (Really. I was. Stop laughing), and started to throw the foil container in the garbage can. "What do you think you're doing?", asked Sister Theresa. "I was throwing this empty foil pan in the garbage", I responded (reasonably, I thought). "Ahem. We do not throw foil containers in the garbage", She retorted. "Really?". "We recycle", she haughtily answered. So, I pull it out of the garbage can, and start to throw it into the "Recycling. Aluminum." bin. "Ahem". "What?" (clearly, I don't understand California's ways). "You have to wash it before you put it in there". "Let me get this straight: I can believe or practice pretty much any sort of philosophy that strikes my fancy, and you're okay with that, but jay-walking and failing to wash my garbage is high treason?". "Well, not exactly. Treason, given the current Administration, is understandable. Failing to recycle is not."

11 comments:

Dr. Maguse said...

I was so tempted to get that calendar and hang it in my classroom...instead a friend brought me one from the Vatican...ask andy about its contents.

:-)

Dr. Maguse said...

why wait
http://www.calendarioromano.org/
my friend actually met this cover model, er father.
BTW,
Click on English for the sinful pic...is that a guy or gal's hand???

superdave524 said...

Dude's obviously got choices...

Anonymous said...

Forgive me father, for I have sinned (I've been a bad boy; a very bad boy).

Err... what were we talking about? Oh yeah, recycling. I call it garbage and throw the shit away. I don't want to increase my carbon footprint by running my hot water heater washing out my f*ng garbage.

(and do your kids read this, Dave? I don't know if I'm crossing lines that shouldn't be crossed.)

my friend Amy said...

I'm green with envy of the sisters and sister MOM.

superdave524 said...

Nah, John, the Lads don't generally read the blog and never check the comments. There really isn't much that they don't see or hear anyway, so no worries. The Boro doesn't make it easy to recycle, so I generally just chuck the stuff, too. Don't tell the Sisters. Their boss is TOUGH.

Amy, I don't know that Mags' priest had ever met mom and the Sisters. Mom passed a couple of Summers ago, but I actually saw Sister Alice and Sr. Theresa around Thanksgiving when they were visiting my Uncle Bob in Orlando. They're really pretty cool gals. I did think they'd snatch a knot in my head for my scofflaw ways, though.

Chase Squires said...

Denver has made it super easy, you don't have to wash, sort, nuthin', just throw all your recyclable stuff into one of bins out back ... then the bums come along and pick out all the aluminum.

easy.

superdave524 said...

...trading Silver Bullet cans for Silver Bullets, no doubt.

my friend Amy said...

The green reference was in reference to Mother Earth, not the chastity of Mother Theresa. But since Popie's in the hood, t'may be a good topic.

superdave524 said...

I'd like to recycle, Amy, but no pick-up, no city bins, and I don't even know where to take the stuff. Still, my mom used to re-use everything: aluminum foil, twist-ties, even bread bags. I feel a little guilty about throwing away perfectly good jam jars (then paying for plastic tubs), so I do try to re-use some stuff. Not aluminum foil. That's a little much.

superdave524 said...

...and the Popie's always in the hood (though I think he calls it a Miter).