Monday, April 21, 2008

Disillusionment Smackdown

Don't want to get to get all dark on you, but Sunday's soul searching got me thinking about pop and rock journeys into and out of faith. Know history and know yourself. The history of Israel seems to me to be a history of revelation, worship, abandonment, and reconciliation. So it goes with regular folks. We love, we embrace, we forget, we quit. Sometimes we come back. And the beat goes on. This week's Smackdown is loss of faith songs.

Many moons ago when I was scarcely older than the Lads are now, it occured to me that my then-favorite group, Three Dog Night, had put out a "religious" album: Cyan. The single from that record, "Shambala", sure did sound like a reference to heaven. Next album out the blocks? Hard Labor, featuring "Put Out the Light" which seemed to me like a falling-away single. The anti-Shambala, if you will (I couldn't find "Put Out the Light", so I'll use the equally cynical "Show Must Go On").


Bob Dylan's music has always had a spiritual side to it, but he got specific in "Slow Train Comin'". "You Gotta Serve Somebody" was not subtle. Bob Dylan has always been great, and it's not a surprise that his "back to reality" stuff is also pretty damn good. "Things Have Changed" is one of my all-time favorite songs. Embedding has been disabled, but if you're inclined to check it out: http://youtube.com/watch?v=WQDeYzUkXOU

Oh, and anybody who listened to any music at all in the 1990's heard R.E.M.'s "Losing My Religion", but the religion they lost seemed to be reflected in the single a couple of singles before that single, "Stand". Losing My Religion:


Okay, that's three loss of faith songs. I need a little help with the last one or two. Any suggestions?

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Found faith songs are a lot easier to find. Leave it to you to make it difficult.

Working on it...

superdave524 said...

Yeah, redemption is next, if we allow it and don't quit. It's a good song. Boy George the Buddhist? Who knew? Course, George Harrison had the idea first. My Sweet Lord was pretty good, too(though, the courts said derivitive). Kate, from Left of Center, posted a Beastie Boys song about Buddhism that is also pretty good.

Lynne said...

Ahhh . . Girl from the North Country . .. . that is my favorite from Dylan.

SuperD - did you see Three Dog Night at London Victory Club way back ?

Star said...

U2's "Still haven't found what I'm looking for"

superdave524 said...

I did go to the London Victory Club once or twice back in the day, Lynn, but didn't catch Three Dog Night there. Think the last artist I caught there was Don "Bye Bye Ms. American Pie" McLean. Girl from the North Country is cool. Cool video, too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qhwemir1Ag

Excellent choice, Star.

superdave524 said...

... Obviously, Kate's blog is Out in Left Field, not Left of Center. Cheez, what a maroon!

Lynne said...

SuperD, that was great (to watch that) !

Thanks !

Anonymous said...

And the name of John's blog is...

Mr. Matt said...

Hey, you said Pop Rocks! Just don't drink them with coke, you know what happens!

Hey, this is a little deep for me, I'm more like the Kiddie Pool at Carrolwood Country Club, but I'll give it a shot.

The song you are looking for is by the Sweet, "Little Willy." Home is Religion and Little Willy won't, Little Willy Won't go HOME. Try telling everybody, but whoa no, Little Willy won't go home." See, he's resisting conversion, shunning the light.

Always liked Willy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3XGjnQgsJA

I promise, the yellow lesuire suit makes it worth while!

Mr. Matt said...

By the Way, when referring to Dylan, it's the artist that used to be great, now he's just another old guy that sold out. F' him!!

Dr. Maguse said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ5heiu5H_o

yeah, sure

superdave524 said...

John's blog is, of course, "Chaulk is Cheap". That phrase, actually, has stuck in my head for years, but I could never think of a good place to use it. Really. Glad you found a proper application.

Ange, I don't generally get deep. Sometimes you just gotta, though, y'know?

Mags, that definitely is not a cheery video...

kate said...

I was about to scream about my beloved Beastie Boys. The song is Boddhisattva Vow...pretty DAMN good.

Anyone who quotes Bugs Bunny is okay with me...

Anonymous said...

You're getting closer, Dave.

superdave524 said...

Yeah, Kate, quoting (living?)Looney Tunes is a Mathews Tradition. So, John, is bad spelling (caulk, not chaulk). In my defense, I am a better speller than my brother (though- percentage of things-wise- he is probably the funnier Mathews. Not easy for me to admit, but probably (probably) true). He definitely runs farther than I do.