Monday, April 28, 2008

"Plato and a Platypus...

I wonder what God looks like.

Like this?

Or maybe this?

Of course, the faithful believe that mostly God works through people. This is hardly groundbreaking news. Shoot, when the descendants of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob cried out from bondage in Egypt, God sent them Moses.

"Plato and a Platypus...Walk into a Bar, Understanding Philosophy through Jokes" has one story explaining the gulf of difference of understanding between the faithful and the more critical:

"A little old Christian lady comes out to her porch every morning and shouts, "Praise the Lord!". And every morning the atheist next door yells back, "There is no God!". This goes on for weeks. "Praise the Lord!", yells the lady. "There is no God!", responds the neighbor. As time goes by, the lady runs into financial difficulties and has trouble buying food. She goes out aonto the porch and asks God for help with grocceries and then says, "Praise the Lord!". The next morning when she goes out onto the porch, there are the groceries she asked for. Of course, she shouts, "Praise the Lord!". The atheist jumps out from behind a bush and says, "Ha! I bought those groceries. There is no God!". The lady looks at him and smiles. Not only did you provide for me, Lord, you made Satan pay for the groceries!".

So, how do we know the difference between a lucky coincidence and an answered prayer? Well, mostly we don't. Except that, sometimes, you just sorta do know. And sometimes the grand miracle is nothing more than a pat on the shoulder and a whispered, "hang in there buddy, you'll be alright". Which brings me to last night.

I went to the isolated Piggly Wiggly at about the midway point between mine and my BabyMamma house to pick up the Lads. Tina and my "Husband-in-Law", Daryl dropped them off, and I went to fire up SpongeBob, and... nothing. Not even a pathetic "Rrrrr-urrr-urrr". Not a sound. "Got to be the starter", expounds Tina's current husband. "Better call a tow-truck". A hundred-sixty-five dollars and two hours later, and we're back in the Boro. So, where's God in that? Well, the tow-truck driver, a thin, dread-locked African-'Mercan in his twenties turns out to be the son of my all-time favorite Beaufort jail guard. His mamma is just one of those people who sparkles. Great sense of humor; great smile; wonderfully positive world-view. As must have been apparent over the last few posts, I've not been "high on life" of late. Bumping into this gal's son was a pat on the shoulder that I really needed. Coincidence? Nah. I know better.

13 comments:

Mr. Matt said...

God is in the details. It's weird.

I was down on teaching and in come a class of seniors, guys in shirt and tie, girls in dresses. They look amazing, they are amazing, I'm happy to be here, praise the lord!

AMan
ps, I got a flat on Saturday, I'm out of money, I may not make it up there this weekend, but it's not God's fault.

Chase Squires said...

I always like that comedian's bit about the boxer giving an interview after winning the fight, "And I want to thank the Lord God, my savior, for giving me the strength ... " ... sure, that's just what God wanted you to do, punch the other man unconscious ...

And it's never, from the loser, "I was winning the fight, 'till God messed up my game plan"

Sorry to hear you've been less than high on life, perhaps you should try bourbon.

superdave524 said...

Ange, you get here, I'll get you the ducats to get to Cola then home. Aiyt?

Yeah, Chase, if God cared about who won sporting events, I reckon the Raiders wouldn't've won any. The Saints or the Cardinals every year, Baby!

my friend Amy said...

When I was a young las destined to listen to way too many sermons on Sunday I always envisioned the Lord, created in our likeness, to bear the resemblance of the stained glass windows in St. Richards. It made perfect sense to me that the almighty would embody a cut of every skin tone known to man in some kalidescopic fashion.

SD, here's hoping the Ford dealer speaks to you in tongues and forgives your next bill.

Andy, if you make it up here think about stopping by for an inspirational chat with my team. We'll be at state qualifiers Friday night and Saturday in Columbia, then home on the island Saturday night.

kate said...

I'm with you, SD. Life is a bowl of pits sometimes and all we need is a nudge to see something positive. I'm glad you got your nudge. ;-)

superdave524 said...

Amy: new starter- $450.00. Ah, well, you don't take 'em to the dealer if you can't stand the pain.

Kate, I wink's as good as a nod to a blind bat, eh?

my friend Amy said...

Ouch, hopefully your economic stimulus from W. will arrive in time for the repair payment. Either that or maybe Mrs. Puff can sweet talk the dealer into a discount for the Spo ride.

superdave524 said...

Sadly, Amy, I'll be paying Uncle Sam back for a long time from my little solo law hobby. I expect I'll get a letter telling me they've applied the two hundred and six dollars, or whatever, to my outstanding balance.

Anonymous said...

I'll be paying Uncle Sam back for a long time from my little solo law hobby

Isn't that a good thing (that you were so successful)?

the two hundred and six dollars, or whatever

Quit complaining. I get nothing.

superdave524 said...

Well, sure. I mean I try to play it square, but the problem when it's not being withheld is you never catch up. Maybe I make 120K one year, but don't pay taxes until the next year. Maybe next year I make half as much. Just hard to catch up, is all. If I'd'a had more really good years- and if each year got better, I'd'a been happy as a clam.

Anonymous said...

You needed a better accountant.

And if everyone had to write a check at the end of the year instead of having taxes withheld, there would be a lot more resistance to current tax policy.

superdave524 said...

That's prolly right (both as to the accountant and as to the policy). Course, I had a lot more bad years than good ones. Mostly, I was just not a particularly good businessman. Hey, we all get different gifts...

Anonymous said...

God and taxes are in the details (but the IRS knows more about you now).