Friday, May 13, 2011

Good For What Ales You.

I've toured breweries. I grew up in Tampa, and took the tour of the Anheiser Busch brewery there on more than one occasion. They used to give you free samples at the end of the tour, which may explain why my pop took my brother and me for the tour more than once. The oddist brewery I toured was the one in West Malle, Belgium. I visited Belgium- and my favorite Belgian, Dirk- a few years ago. Europe's Low Countries (as opposed to South Carolina's Lowcountry) are famous for their many high quality beers. The Netherland's Heinekin, and Belgium's Stella are but a couple of the more famous ones, but that's not the end of it: even their holy people do the brew. In point of fact, Dirk's uncle is a Trappist Monk in the monastery in West Malle, Belgium, and they make their own cheese and brew a right decent Ale there. I discovered the bottle of Ale pictured at left in Columbia, SC last year, but it started its journey in Dirk's uncle's Belgian monastery. Ain't that a kick in the head?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you hear from Dirk often? (Probably keeping busy paving the ceiling) While we were still in Tampa, he called the house twice looking for phone #'s for Leto kids. I thought it was funny that he still knew our #! :)fdb

superdave524 said...

Every once in a while I hear from Dirk, Frandy. He was a great host when I took my trip a few years ago, and he even took Davis around on one of Davis' overseas ventures.