Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Russ Turns Fifty.

As I've reported plenty in the past, the Baggetts were my "second family" as I was growing up in Tampa. I've known Russ since fifth grade. We went to Morgan Woods Elementary, Webb Junior High School, and Leto High School together, and later were housemates at Florida State University. I was shocked to discover that he decided to turn fifty last week. His sister, Sarah, set up a surprise party for him at his aunt's place near his house in Panama City, Florida. Fiancee Diane was all set for a road trip, and off we went.

Hmmm. Tire pressure's a little low. Better get Diane to put some air in 'em.

We stayed in Marinna, FL, about an hour North of Panama City, smack in the middle of Florida's "pan handle". Marianna is not big. Neither was its newspaper, The Jackson County Floridian, though its price was up there with the big boys. The lead story was that the turnout for the Christmas parade was low. The local population musta been applying for one of the four jobs listed as "now available" just above the headline.

The party was fun. Alligator hunter Phil came up from Tampa with fellow Leto H.S. Falcon Terrie; Pee Wee league Viking teammate Tommy Ostertag came over from Tallahassee, and lots of Russ' family were in attendance. Sister Sarah, Diane, and Russ and Sarah's mom (and my "second mom") Frandy, pictured at left, visited. Frandy and Diane hit it off, as I'd hoped they would. The barbecue and cake were mighty tasty, and it seemed like folks had fun.

The next day we checked out of the Fairfield and headed East on I-10.

I won't tell you where I saw this sign, but my first thought on seeing it was, "Uh, not since diapers".


We stopped in Jacksonville to visit with friends from the Boro, Jim and Gale.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Diane and I did indeed "hit it off". Loved visiting with her. You "done good", Dave. Of course, I think you are BOTH pretty lucky! So glad you made the trip--so was Russ. Keep us in the loop---wedding, etc...
fdb

Terrie said...

Russ is "embracing" 50! It was good to see you guys. I enjoyed speaking with Diane while we were camping out by the fire. She seems like a good egg. Merry Christmas to both of you.

superdave524 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
superdave524 said...

Thanks, Frandy and Terrie. It was mighty good to get y'all, and I'm glad Russ had fun. I'll keep you posted on the wedding plans.

Chase Squires said...

Road trips always rock, glad it was a good 'un! Gotta tell you, there's a heckuva lot more to see on a road trip than a trip out west, vast vast spaces of nuthin in some parts (ie: all of Kansas)

superdave524 said...

Yeah, I was checking out your Las Vegas trip, Chase. Shoot, we've got tacky right here in the Boro. 'Course, it's not EPIC tacky.