Saturday, April 25, 2009

Rice Run.

I woke up at 7:30 this morning, intent to vie in Walterboro's signature 5K, the Colleton County Rice Festival Rice Run. I double-checked this website to confirm the 9:00 a.m. start. I might shoulda checked this one, listing correct 8:00 start time, instead. Looks like I missed it. Ah, well, might as well take some pictures.

I got there in time to watch the first wave of runners pass. Walterboro Running Club veteran Michael is in the thick of things.

The next wave- the "New Wave"- of runners is more my speed. WRC stalwarts, Audra and Kevin, lead the charge here.

A scant 15 minutes and change later, Flash (a/k/a ORINTHAL STRIGGLES) and Speedy (a/k/a ERIC ASHTON) break the figurative tape (for full race results, check This site). Had I been on time to the race, these are two people I would never, ever have seen up close. Here, I raise a pet peeve: Competition can spur us to achieve more; competition can also reveal the more unseemly qualities we also all possess in different degrees. These dudes at left are grand physical specimens, to be sure, but they weren't the only runners/joggers/walkers competing. About 10 minutes later, I watched a petite redheaded gal literally push aside a burly Marine at the tape. They were both inside the cones, but not yet to the finish line. She improved her position from about 70th to 69th by pushing this clueless, but large, dude out of the way. Nothing noteworthy at stake. Man, we sell our souls cheap.

WRC president, Kevin Campbell, had no comment about his finish. "Nothing to see here. Move along".

10 comments:

jrtnutt said...

Sorry you missed it. When is the next one?

superdave524 said...

This particular 5K, like Christmas, comes but once a year. Happily, there are a plethora of races throughout the year and in many places, near and far.

Chase Squires said...

Um, you did still get off your (fat) butt and run 3 miles, even if you missed the race, right?

RIGHT?????

Sitting on it ain't gonna make it smaller ... millions of South Carolinians have tried that.

Chase Squires said...

sorry about the (fat) note .. how else can I dynamite you off'n that chair?

superdave524 said...

Imo run today, Chase. Sadly, the scales and the tape measure confirm your diagnosis.

Star said...

I can't believe you didn't just jump in and run bandit like your blogger buddies do!

(I also believe there was some sort of Freudian slip going on that made you "miss" the race...).

superdave524 said...

That's certainly possible, Star. I'd betcha Chase was thinking the same thing. I hope I redeamed myself today: I ran a hot 8 miles with the Round O Rowdies.

Mr. Matt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mr. Matt said...

Competition. I have thrown an elbow or three. Not to pass anybody, but when someone tried to crash by me at the line. You can go, but "POP" take that with you!

Course you do have to be carful when you are "teaching" that lesson. I once threw the barrier out at the end of a 10K, I had done all the work going up the hill and this ingreat tries to pass me in the finish area. The elbow was thrown! Sounds bad I know, but hand to God, her girlfriend was a lot madder than she was concerning where the elbow landed. I guess it might have hurt a little tit, er I mean I little bit! I'm such a boob!

superdave524 said...

Little dude stepped in front of me at a 5K to move from eighth from the last to ninth from the last. I followed him and kicked the bottom of his shoes for five minutes or so. My buds that ran with me were mortified. Thanks, dad.