Monday, July 11, 2011

Schadenfreude.

I'll admit it: sometimes I take pleasure in other peoples' misfortune. The German word for it is schadenfreude. I'm not proud of it, but I take some solace in knowing I have lots of company. Don't believe it? How do you explain the success of these guys? My most recent jolt of schadenfreude came this weekend on the Interstate. I was cruising down I-26, just loving life, when this high dollar black Lexus zipped in front of me, and sped into the distance. I've been known to exceed the legal speed limit on occasion; consequently, I do not always see the S.C.H.P. as my friends, but on this day I was rooting for the Troopers to catch this dude. About a half hour later, to my glee, I saw the Lexus pulled over by a County Sheriff's deputy. And balance in the universe was restored.

4 comments:

Star said...

I LOVE it when that happens...it just doesn't happen often enough.

No one, and I mean not ONE person in my neighborhood stops at stop signs...they just roll through. Where's the SCHP when you need them?

Anonymous said...

Oh, you DO have company! I was filled with glee when a car, coming from the wrong direction, whipped into a parking spot I was waiting for---in his haste, he locked bumpers with the car in front of the space. I even had to pleasure of waving to him! :) fdb

jd bryan said...

As Homer Simpson said, "It's funny because it happened to somebody else."

superdave524 said...

Amen, Star! Good one, Frandy. And I always love a good Homer Simpson reference, JD.