Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Monster!


I was pulling weeds at La Maison Jaune over the weekend, and I ran into this monster. It looked sorta like a flea, but this sucker was as big as a small cat (which reminded me of a David Bowie song, reflected in the second clip below).

It had a really long spiked tail, too!
Here's my trophy weed at left. It took me ages to get around that rootball and pull it up. I shot it with a silver bullet and ran a stake through it, just to be sure it wasn't coming back.





(My mom, by the way, was not a David Bowie fan, and that song left her a bit cold. Ah, well, what are you gonna do?).

8 comments:

jd bryan said...

Looks like a smilax vine. I had a LOT of them when I lived in town, and not a single weedkiller would work on any of them. Some species are sold as ornamentals, but most are weeds.

superdave524 said...

Smilax, JD? I wasn't smiling.

Star said...

That pic almost made me puke up my breakfast.

superdave524 said...

Before or after a run, Star? If it's just, like, a powerbar...

jd bryan said...

I think the native Americans actually ate the rhizomes. But I'd double check before frying some up.

superdave524 said...

I think this guy'd scream if I tried to eat him.

Anonymous said...

This is the root of a Bamboo vine...Russ calls them Potato vines. It can, and DOES, sent our several shoots, and as mentioned is next to impossible to kill! The only remedy I've found is the one you employed----dig up the whole thing!!

superdave524 said...

And the stake through it's heart, Frandy!