Thursday, June 28, 2012

Vacation.

I got a vacation coming up. Got me to thinking about stuff. Dangerous, I know. I've heard lots of folks saying, "Life's a journey, not a destination". Maybe. 'Course, that's not the way my dad viewed trips. Like a lot of dads, he was all about getting there. Rocketing down the highway at a few miles an hour above the posted limit, windows cracked a half inch to allow some of the smoke from the chain-smoked Pall Malls to leave the car. Bathroom breaks? "You should've thought about that before we left". Dad was a classic guys' guy, who always voted Republican and who rooted against Muhammad Ali (or, as Dad would say, "Cassius Clay"), because he was a draft-dodger. But there are other memories, too. Like on a trip to New Smyna Beach, Florida, when dad suddenly stopped the car to pick up and relocate a turtle that was trying to cross the road so it wouldn't get run over. So, we should try to get where we're going, but we need to remember, at every moment, we're also already there. Or, as John Travolta said as the angel Michael, "You gotta learn to laugh".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember trips with children pleading to stop at a restroom---to be promised, "we will at the first clean looking one on the righthand side of the road". Many times also hearing, "oops, I didn't see the exit in time!" A MAJOR coup when I convinced Leo that stopping every two hours would let us arrive in a civil state of mind! :)

superdave524 said...

The things we do to "get there". My favorite Baggett travel story involved Sarah avoiding punishment at a gas station...