Saturday, June 11, 2011

R.I.P. Tom McEwen.

My brother reported to me that retired Tampa Tribune sportswriter Tom_McEwen_died. The eulogy that I've linked notes that McEwen wielded considerable influence in the sporting world, and that he was instrumental in bringing professional soccer to Tampa, as well as football and hockey franchises. I remember his column, "The Morning After". I read it all the time in my youth. I remember how he used to write about what his wife had prepared for him for breakfast. He wrote things like, "Along with your freshly squeezed orange juice, and toasted English Muffin, these morsels..." Then he break into his story. I liked the stories too, of course, but it was his listing of what he'd had for breakfast that has stayed with me over the past forty years or so.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Russ alerted me to this----
I,too, remember the breakfast commentary---always made an interesting start. fdb

superdave524 said...

I still get the newspaper (though not the Tampa Tribune), and I frequently read the columnists, but there aren't any anymore, I don't think, that cut that kind of swath.