Thursday, September 9, 2010

Wodehouse Blues.

When it comes to my literary tastes, I'll admit to being an Anglophile. I've mentioned before that my favorite author is C.S. Lewis because of his clarity of thought, his wit, and, of course, his defense of Christianity. On the other hand, I also admire Douglas Adams ("Hitchhikers Guide to the Universe") and Christopher Hitchens ("God is Not Great"), who were fine writers, but definitely not Christian apologists. I was discussing these authors one day at the local coffee shop (Downtown Books and Espresso) with my buddy, J.D., and he recommended I check out P.G.Wodehouse, who is another dead English writer (as opposed, I suppose, to an Old English writer). "You've never read Wodehouse?", he asked. "No", I said, "But I did watch the movie with Patwick Swayze" (he and I both made the mistake of pronouncing the name as it is spelled, with a long "O". Apparently, Wodehouse pronounced his name like "woodhouse". It was his name, and I guess he can have pronounced it any way he chose; but the joke doesn't work very well that way. Anyway, J.D. was right: Wodehouse rocks!

Don't think you know his works? Maybe. Maybe not. You've heard of the T.V. show "House", right? Well, before Hugh Laurie was Dr. House, he played Bertram Wooster- a Wodehouse creation- in the British series "Jeeves and Wooster". I've only ever seen the YouTube clips of the show, but it looks like a pretty good adaption of the books. I tried to embed a clip, but all were disabled; however, you can click on the link below to get a sampling.

Jeeves and Wooster.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is this where THE "Jeeves" comes from?....as in "Ask Jeeves". fdb

superdave524 said...

I'd bet on it, Frandy, since Wodehouse's Jeeves is an an all-knowing assistant.

jd bryan said...

Glad you liked him. The advantage of English writers is that they write in English, a language bearing a remarkable similarity to our own.

Now for Christopher Buckley. Time for "Thank you for Smoking."