Friday, September 10, 2010

Prunes.

What's the saying? Time heals all wounds? Or is it time wounds all heals? Either way. I was reflecting, as I do from time to time, about Einstein's theory of relativity. No, wait... I think that was Ben Stein's theory I was thinking about. Either way. As I took a look at today's breakfast- Raisin Bran and prunes (I'm not sure calling them "dried plums" is better)- I was kinda hoping it wasn't a metaphor for, you know, life. I sighed, and thought about Hank Williams, Jr.'s "All My Rowdy Friends Have Settled Down". Then I remembered a cautionary tale from my (relative) youth.

When I was in, I think, my second year of Law School, a few of my buddies and I had been invited to a Halloween party. One of my buddies (to protect his identity, I'll call him "Randy") had been working construction while he looked for work more suited to his college degree. We'd all been extensively partaking of adult beverages that day, and, by the time we were supposed to leave for this party, Randy'd caked out. Now, during those days, almost any sins were forgivable; however, failing to rally for a round of pre-planned partying was not. We cajoled. We wheedled. We threatened. No movement. Finally, we pulled out the trump card: we cranked up "All My Rowdy Friends". Randy slowly, reluctantly, rallied. No time to pick out a costume, Randy went to the party as a construction worker. He went to the party where he met the woman he ended up marrying. I'm not sure if the story has a moral, but I like it, anyway.


5 comments:

Mr. Matt said...

Randy, he must not have been raised right!

Mr. Matt said...

Hey, wait, I went to that party with you, I don't remember any Randy. That's the party at which I met Nancy right? Seems like I woulda remembered Randy, his name being so close to mine and all.

superdave524 said...

Purely a coincidence, Randy... I mean Andy.

col said...

good story SD. breakfast leaves something to be desired, tho.

superdave524 said...

Not exactly the breakfast of champions, to be sure, Col, but a regular meal, anyway.