Monday, September 7, 2009

Ode to a Monster.

Tales abound of battles epic, but one battle's got me most dyspeptic. Aliens and Predators don't bug me much; another beast's a more sinister touch. Cat has from the Manor left; but of her vermin, we are not bereft. Kitty's gone, but her fleas remain. The itching's driving me insane.

"I'll pick you up and pinch off your head; I'll bring you all the way to dead". I hunt and pluck and pinch and squeeze, but still there are too many fleas.







No luck with locks and stocks and pillories; I'm bringing heavy artilleries. I'll bomb the little biting beasts. No longer will my legs be feasts.

And so with poison I lace the place. Noxious odors invade my face. Aha, but many fleas are dead! I've beat these monsters, as I said.

Or so I believed the truth to be. Two weeks later, I see a flea. I see a flea, then I see three. Then four, and more and more.

Oh foul, bloodsucking, awful flea! You'll surely be the death of me.

10 comments:

Jersey Girl 46 said...

I am sure you will get a lot of other advice, but here is what I did when I moved into a house that had been vacant and the fleas had nothing to sustain themselves on.

Moth balls. I bought the crystalized form and sprinkled them outside and then I sprinkled them inside.

I left for a day or so to get the over-bearing smell out, opened the house up, and put white socks on. That is what the do it yourself guy told me to do.

It worked. I do this method once a year, even though my girls (dogs) and my one cat do not seem to have an issue.

jrtnutt said...

Dave, you may have to bomb the house again...and use more than one bomb...set one up in the halls and leave bedroom doors open..etc...
Jersey girl is right with the moth balls or flakes...if you put them in your window sills, it keeps spiders and such out of the house....the flakes also keep snakes away....
I don't ever remember having ants or anything in my house as a kid.

jrtnutt said...

oh and PS...loved the flea poem. You are a good writer.

superdave524 said...

Thanks, JG and Tam. I'm bombing again, for sure. May do the mothball thing if all else fails.

Star said...

Fleas are a royal pain. We have two inside-only cats and somehow they still get fleas once a year. Good luck getting rid of them!

COL said...

boo to fleas. sorry sd!

superdave524 said...

Yep. Fleas suck. Figuratively and literally.

Star said...

Well, I came up with "fleas bite" this morning. My brain wasn't functioning yesterday...I was too tired to be witty.

Chase Squires said...

Awesome verse, m'man! ... and you can also put down borax, sprinkle it around the rug, then vacuum, works pretty good. And when you vacuum make sure you squirt some raid bug killer in the bag, otherwise any live fleas will find their way out.

superdave524 said...

Star, I've been meaning to update your link. I'll get there.

Thanks, Chase. And who knew Borax had so many uses?