Friday, July 24, 2009

A Hunting I Will Go.

My buddy, Phil the Gator Hunter, talked me into entering the lottery to apply for an alligator hunting permit. Looks like I was successful. I've been hunting a few times, but never shot anything. I've seen plenty of deer, but only once when I was looking for them. Good. One episode of the the early 1990's t.v. series Northern Exposure, "A Hunting We Will Go" was about Dr. Joel's first- and only- hunting trip. He shoots, then tries to save, his prey. He comments that he gets the excitement of the hunt, but doesn't care for the result. The killing is good; the dying? Not so much. Anyway, I like deer, and I really have no desire to kill them. Alligators? Them, I could kill. At least, that's the plan. 'Course, I could end up like this guy:

8 comments:

Jersey Girl 46 said...

Are you going to eat the gator? If you skin it, I would respectfully like to put my order in for a pair of pumps (gator skinned you know) size 7 please. If it's big enough, maybe a handbag too?

superdave524 said...

I'd love to, JG, after I get my belt. I'll see if Phil lets me keep the hyde and meat (that's assuming we get one).

jrtnutt said...

Please don't kill the gator.

Chase Squires said...

Oh gross.

(BTW, you do know that about 100,000 mosquitoes just won the "Superdave Hunting Lottery," right?)

superdave524 said...

Tam, I will ask you to avert your eyes in the unlikely event that I kill a gator.

Funny stuff, Chase.

kate said...

You don't get that same lump in your throat when you think of a gator hunt that you do when thinking about deer.

At least I don't.

But I'm still hoping you don't score a kill.

Stay safe.

Star said...

Oh, this oughta be good. Are you taking your camera with you?

superdave524 said...

Lizards are lizards. Shucks, they're not even mammals. I'll be careful, Kate.

'Course I'll have my camera, Star. Shoot, if I don't photograph it, it didn't happen!