Monday, February 23, 2009

The Oscars.

I watched the Oscars last night. I actually saw fewer "good" movies last year than any year in my life. The Boro's lone theater doesn't generally show "artsy" films. Alas, since my forays into entertainment are generally with my children these days, it probably wouldn't matter if Ivanhoe Cinemas did show them. "Boys, we're going to the movies. Want to see "The Reader"? Well, I'm not really sure what it's about, but the critics love it. What? No, Adam Sandler isn't in it. No, I'm pretty sure nothing gets blown up. Fine, we'll see Iron Man". I did see a couple of Academy Award nominated films. Yeah. You guessed it: The Dark Knight and Iron Man. I'll see others, eventually.

11 comments:

Star said...

I can't believe people actually watch that crap. Do we really need to stroke off millionaire actors, then watch as they stand up and gush on about a bunch of bullsh*t???

We watched "I Am Legend" last night.

superdave524 said...

I liked "I Am Legend". Shoulda won an Oscar. Oh...

COL said...

it is rather nauseating to sit there and hear them all kiss eachother's asses.

i thought they put on a decent show last night. the ratings were up 10% from last year, whatever that's worth.

i only saw THREE nominated films: dark knight, rachel getting married and vikki christina.

John in IL said...

Like the Superbowl, I didn't even know it was on. I didn't see any of the movies nominated either. I really do need to get out more.

John in IL said...

Next thing you know, I'll have missed a Miss America pageant.

Chase Squires said...

No lie, I watched James Cagney in "White Heat" last night instead, "Top of the world, Ma!"

Great stuff, Cagney rules, I'll be he wouldn't have been up on stage kissin' anybody's ass.

Top of the World!

superdave524 said...

Col, you should know that Chase greatly prefers TV over most current movies. Chase, you should know that Col is a TV "insider". Y'all should get together for cyber-drinks.

John, you really ought to pay some cultural dues, here, and watch some of this stuff. Generally, you're supposed to pick at least one of the "big deal" events to watch. Have they already done the Grammys?

superdave524 said...

...and is White Heat the one where Cagney engages in grapefruit abuse?

kate said...

I thought the Oscars were weird. They put me to sleep.

But I want to see Milk and Slumdog Millionaire. I want to see a bunch of those movies actually, but who has the time?

Lynne said...

Kate, I agree. Your time is with your boys, like it should be.

You will have many years to watch movies.

superdave524 said...

The Lads watched some of it with me. I'm gonna watch Slumdog Milk, at some point.