Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Stop Your Wining!

I've turned into a winer. I don't drink alcoholic beverages much, anymore, but when I do, generally I'll have a glass- or maybe two- of wine. In the Church year, it's Lent. Lent is a time of reflection and atonement in preparation for Holy Week, as I've mentioned a time or three before. It's also a time when many folks give up unnecessary or frivolous things, such as sweets or alcoholic beverages. Yesterday, I was feeling kinda sanctimonious and, maybe, just maybe, I wanted to get my smug on, I announced that I'd all but decided to give up wine for Lent...


but then I got a sign that maybe I ought to reconsider. The sign? Well, I was reading the Psalms and hit the following in Psalm_104: "Praise the LORD, my soul... He makes ... wine that gladdens human hearts" Or, maybe you prefer King James: "wine that maketh glad the heart of man". Now, I'm not saying God told me to drink! After all, John the Baptist, who worked hard for the Big Guy, didn't touch the stuff, and a lot of folks have trouble with alcohol and really do need to leave it alone. I AM saying I'm pretty sure God doesn't want anyone using him to Lord it over folks. Even during Lent.



11 comments:

Diane said...

Thank Goodness, you know I love my wine.

superdave524 said...

I know you do, my Dear. And hugs are better than smugs, too.

Anonymous said...

Can't give up wine---it is used in communion...at least in your church and mine. fdb

superdave524 said...

The use of actual wine for communion is among the many things I like about our churches, Frandy.

Anonymous said...

Me too, David. I also like going to the Altar....as you said, among many other things. :) fdb

COL said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
COL said...

red red wine makes me feel fine!!

superdave524 said...

UB40 is the bomb, Col. I like Bob Marley and Neil Diamond's versions, too.

Florida and S.C. are both altared states, Frandy.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andrea said...

My mouse pad reads, "Will Run For Wine". Glad to know I'm running for all the right reasons!

superdave524 said...

She's alive! Glad to hear from you Andrea, hope the wild West is treating you well.