Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The "O" Word.

I saw the ad at left in Sunday's paper and remembered a trip to see mom in California a few years ago. We were in Chinatown in San Fransisco and I think I said I wanted some "Oriental" food. Mom "tsk"ed me and told me that I should say "Asian" because "Oriental" was offensive- akin to using the "N" word to describe African-Americans. I certainly hadn't intended it that way. A few minutes after that chastisement, I pointed to an "Oriental Goods" sign that appeared to by run by Asian-Americans. Didn't matter. Words mean what the mass of society decides they mean, a few renegades to the contrary notwithstanding. It doesn't matter if I think a term OUGHT to be offensive; if a term is offensive to someone, there are plenty other words that probably describe the same thing that aren't. Doesn't cost a nickle to be courteous. Hey, reminds of a scene from the old Steve Martin movie "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid".

7 comments:

Chase Squires said...

classic flick, didn't even have to play it, I know the scene ...

last night in class we were asked to examine individuals in the "marital dyad" ... I had to ask, "are we talking about a married couple?" ... yes, indeed. This was in a communications class. Like, why couldn't we just say "married couple?"

superdave524 said...

They got to earn that college dollar, Chase. For intentional nonsense, hard to beat Lewis Carroll.

Chase Squires said...

or we could watch videos of snowmaking!

Star said...

My mom still calls Asian people "Orientals." But she doesn't use the "N" word unless she's referring to a certain kind of nut.

Did you ever hear of "DWA?"

superdave524 said...

Did you film that snowmaking, Chase? It is a lot of snowmaking. A lot.

Star, I'm assuming you mean the propensity of some law enforcement officials to target minorities for traffic enforcement in hopes of finding evidence of other crimes. My clients don't talk about it, but they probably could. 'Course, if they're my clients, it means that the law did actually find drugs or a gun.

COL said...

dave, it's "asian" when referring to PEOPLE.

"oriental" is ok as an adjective that describes goods, services, etc.

http://www.answers.com/oriental&r=67

superdave524 said...

Well, now, that makes sense. Thanks for the elucidation, Col.