Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Goodbye, Coach; Goodbye "Dad".

Paul Leo Baggett died yesterday in his hometown in Panama City, Florida. Leo was a football player, and a husband. He had three children, my best friend Russ, Sarah, and Anne, with his college sweetheart, Frandy. Leo was my pee wee league football coach when I was a lad growing up in Tampa, and it took me years to get used to calling him Leo. The Baggetts were my "second" family when I was growing up, and they provided a measure of normalcy and stability to me and my brother when things weren't going so great at home. It's difficult to imagine I could ever repay Leo for all the food he bought (and Frandy prepared) which I consumed over the years. Lots of nights while Frandy was feeding and listening to the neighborhood kids, Leo would fall asleep in front of the t.v. in the family room. Daughter Sarah would shake him when he'd start to snore. He'd scold us when we we acted up. Sometimes he didn't say much. It didn't matter. He was always there. You could count on it. Like me and so many other kids of "broken homes" that the Baggetts took care of, that meant a lot. I love you, Leo, and I'll miss you.

9 comments:

jrtnutt said...

What a great dedication to your coach and childhood friend. I am so sorry for you loss. But...I am glad you had him in your life, Sounds like a lot of him has rubbed off on you.

superdave524 said...

Without a doubt, Tam. Thanks.

COL said...

rest in peace. surrogate families are just as important as the blood ones, sometimes even more.

xo

Jersey Girl 46 said...

I am sorry for your loss, I hope you get to remember him always!

superdave524 said...

Thanks, Col and JG.

Anonymous said...

Dave, This tribute would put a grin on Leo's face, and make his heart swell! fdb

superdave524 said...

Thanks, Frandy. He was, and you are, pretty neat folks.

Jen said...

Well said Dave, they were such an important part of our past and for me a goal for my home. I have tried to create a home where we are really interested in and care about everyone that walks through the door, unless of course they are Gators. I have fallen short of my examples but non the less something to shoot for....I love you Leo and Frandy. Goony Bird

superdave524 said...

It was good to see you Jennifer. I'd say to say hey to anyone that cares, but I think they were all there.