Wednesday, August 11, 2010

South Carolina's Got the Blues.

A few weeks ago, I was travelling about the Palmetto State with Oldest Son. It was Sunday morning, and we popped into a Columbia unit of a national chain to pick up a few items. To our amazement, not everything that the store sold was available for purchase on account of State Blue Laws. I was already aware that buying booze on Sunday was verboten, but this was too much. Half the store was roped-off to save me from myself. The classification system was... puzzling.


If I'm not gonna be in Church, I'd better not try eat Hershey's chocolate. Linde candy is, apparently, not so sinful.


Davis got his contact lens solution, but he was interrogated in line. "You didn't get that on the other side of the rope, did you?". "No, Ma'am. I'd never do such a thing". Never on Sunday.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

No Hershey's or "wrong side of the rope" lens solution!?.....but you can buy it after 1:30 p.m.? What is the reasoning behind this? Sounds more like government "let's make a law 'cause we can" mode. fdb

superdave524 said...

Seemed pretty silly to me, Frandy; but, then again, I've never been much of a fan of even the Blue Laws I DID understand. No beer on Sunday? Better stock up on Saturday!

Mr. Matt said...

Never on Sunday? As Steve Martin would say, Never at Dusk!

And Frandy, it is government, they make the Blue laws, but it's Rebuplican's what do it! The Democarats, they understand the need for Chalk between 12am Saturday and 1:30 (not 1, but 1:30) on Sunday.

Word to South Carolina, get them republicans out. But in some Greens!

Anonymous said...

Will "Greens" get rid of the "Blues"? :) fdb

Mr. Matt said...

Great Question! Get rid of the Blues?My guess is yes, but they will put warning labels on the Chalk. For sidewalk use only. Not to be ingested. Discard when product is less than .53 inches long.

They'll be much more regulation, but it'll be for your own good (according to them :)

superdave524 said...

Now that's a fun conversation string, right there!

Star said...

Lindt chocolate that you are referring to is Swiss. The majority of Swiss are Catholics. So apparently they can eat all the chocolate they desire and just say some Hail Mary's afterward.

Plus, Switzerland is neutral on the Blue Law.

Anonymous said...

Aren't you relieved that they are all going to save us from ourselves! :) fdb

superdave524 said...

Have you ever given up Lindt for Lent, Star?

Prison, Frandy, I can protect people from. The fiery depths? Don't ask!

Anonymous said...

Most of us are just not smart enough to realize the dangers of eating chocolate on Sun.---etc...!!! I guess someone has to step in. Good grief! :) fdb
(I"ve enjoyed this one, Dave!)

superdave524 said...

Thanks, Frandy.