Thursday, July 8, 2010

Rob and Dave's Excellent Adventure.

That's my oldest son, to the right, and my nephew, Rob, the taller fellow to the left. Rob took care of his cousin for the last few months. Put him up in Greenville while Davis looked for work. Davis'll be teaching in Korea soon, and he's moved out, but Davis lived with Rob since January. Rob is Davis' mom's sister's son. I'm divorced from Davis' mom, so what's Rob to me? Families are sometimes where you find them. Lots and lots of people in the last generation or two are divorced. So, what do you do with the in-laws after the nuclear unit is split? Former cousins, nieces and nephews you've loved for years, what are they? Seems like they're whatever we decide they are. My babymamma remarried years ago- and I'm engaged to a wonderful woman- but if you tell me that I'm not still an uncle to Rob, Shawn, Carrie and Garrett, I'll fight you.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen, David!!! Family is family---blood kin or not! fdb

grizgrin said...

Yeah, wise man we once knew once said "Blood don't mean shit." Give you three guesses on that one. Family IS where you find it and what you make of it.

superdave524 said...

Frandy and Rob: Two of my favorite family members. You both make my life a lot better.

superdave524 said...

(and thanks).

Star said...

We've had surrogate parents here in Florida, for those holidays when we can't be with our families.

We also had a "Vagabond Christmas Brunch" last year for us and our loner friends...which your brother attended.

superdave524 said...

He had a great time, too, Star.

Mr. Matt said...

I'm nothing if not a vagabond!

Here's some more food for thought, it does go both ways, some of those truly horrible people you see out there are blood kin to people. Don't give your family too much credit that they don't desreve. You can still love 'em, but you aint gotta trust 'em!

superdave524 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
superdave524 said...

Uh, Ange, you and the Blackfords are, like, my only remaining close blood relatives, so, um, about that five bucks you owe me...