Monday, December 31, 2007

Go, B.C.!

After Christmas, I came back to the Boro for a day of work on Thursday, then left out again on Friday to get back to F-L-A. For Christmas, my friend Amy had bought us tickets to the Champs Sports Bowl between Michigan State and Boston College. Amy spent some time in Boston, and is a B.C. fan (baseball is a decidedly schizophrenic affair for her. She also spent years in Cleveland and Chicago. Baseball apparently matters a great deal to the denizens of each of those communities). So, off we went.

Along I-95, past the Hilton Head Island, then Savannah exits, right near Brunswick, Georgia, lies the South Georgia town of Woodbine, home to a couple of gas stations and a barbeque joint. I opt for the petrol first. I look at the pump for a place to stick my debit card. Nada. Hey, old school! I pump my gas and am greeted by a pleasant lady who looks like a character out of an old Dukes of Hazzard episode, wearing a T-shirt that says, "Everyone's entitled to be stupid, but you are abusing the privilege". So, I ask if she'd mind if I snap her picture. No problem.

You can't see it in this shot, but she also had a petition to reduce cigarette taxes taped to the wall next to the register. After I snapped her mug, she said the shirt was popular, as I was the second person to take her picture that day. For some reason, this haunting scene did not deter me from taking us to the barbeque joint next door. There would be consequences.


Welcome to paradise (er, I guess that's actually a few miles South of here).

We missed the first few minutes of the game, but have great seats. 15 yard line, about 15 rows up.






Great seats! BC wins! My Friend Amy.


Sadly, the Woodbine barbeque turned out to be an unfortunate choice. I'm pretty sure the pork plate included pork, but I think "pork" was broadly defined. The net result was a tour of many of the restrooms throughout the Central Florida greater metropolitan area (it turns out that this was not a port-o-let as I'd imagined. Tragic).




After a really fine evening meal at Houston's in Orlando, we opted for the a simple breakfast the next morning. Perkins, it seems, must have a minimum weight requirement. At 235, I had no problem getting in. Amy had to sneak in behind me. Whilst there, I ordered the blueberry pancakes slathered in all sorts of unhealthy, coronary-inducing additives. But it was a trick! Look closely at the pancakes...

Hey! This blueberry's not blue! Turns out that the frozen blueberries are stored next to the frozen peas. This little guy had at least six brothers and sisters adding unnecessary vitamins to my breakfast. Naturally, the peacakes were comped. Still, my tummy had only just recovered from the Woodbine incident...
Friday through Saturday morning were good, though. Saturday afternoon and Sunday? Later (if anyone's watching).

5 comments:

my friend Amy said...

Check out the signs to the left of "Welcome to Florida". Good thing one of Lawtey's finest wasn't in the neighborhood to issue you a post-Christmas present for non-emergency stopping. My curiosity is now piqued, so I'll be stopping at the welcome center next time I head to Florida to see the sanctioned photo opportunity. Maybe you can take your photo next to a plate of blueberry peacakes or something?

Chase Squires said...

ROTFL, classic stuff, this is what blogging's all about :-) Peacakes and a weight requirement at Perkins ... you should stick to the Awful Waffle (well, everything sticks to the Awful Waffle ... or S.C's cheaper, less healthy alternative, the Huddle House)

Notice how Florida's motto is "The Sunshine State," ... I mean that's true, there's no way they can screw that up ... now if it said, "A Nice Place to Live" or "The Quality of Life State" ... well, that'd just be a lie. (mandatory political content, sorry, it's the law)

Mr. Matt said...

Teachers don't get paid enough, do they Amy?

superdave524 said...

Amy, I'm pretty sure I was still in Georgia when I took the welcome to Florida picture. I'm not sure if that's true, but that's my story.

Chase, I've done my share of Huddle House penance. Still, at least they don't to to sneak you vegetables.

Hey, AndyMan, how do I post a link to you and Chase (assuming y'all want me to. Chase, reciprocity is not requested. I'm still not that confident in this business yet. But I'm glad your reading it, anyway).

my friend Amy said...

Andy, it's not about how much you make as much as who you know. Don't tell SuperD but I got a great deal on the tickets, which were 5th row 20 yard line BTW, not sure who he was sitting next to. The hotel room with the 42" plasma where we watched the game highlights was comped, so in all it was a cheap weekend. Oh yeah, I almost forgot about that free plate of blueberry peacakes (and I had to hold him back from eating all the evidence). Still you're right about the salary, but that hefty CC coaching stipend makes up the difference, right?

Sparky,
Technically you probably were still in GA. When you stopped so abrubtly for that photo op I though fo sho the donut lovers were pulling us over, or you needed to release some after effects of that 'pork 'n friends' lunch.