Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Alpine Camp for Boys, Circa 1980.

I got a call from an old buddy of mine the other day. Jim and I were camp counselors at Alpine Camp for Boys in Mentone, Alabama in the Summer of 1980. Two of my friends from the Fellowship of Christian Athletes at Sewanee, Woody (with whom I played football) and Margaret, hooked me up with Alpine. When I got there, I wanted to teach/coach football, or some other team sport, but was assigned to teach non-competitive sports, a/k/a "Earth Games", where Jim had also been billeted. In honor of our unsolicited appointments, Jim took the moniker "Earth Lizard", and I appropriated "Earth Duck". Jim forwarded the picture at left. I'm in the middle; he's to the far left. I think we were teaching them how to sing "Swing low, sweet chariot", in the picture, but I'm not positive. E-Lizard and I had a blast. There were some loose guidelines on "Earth Games": we had a parachute that we'd all flap up and down, and there were a few more or less organized activities, but mostly we just led the kids in whatever silly game we could imagine. If a kid scraped his knee, we'd celebrate it by giving him a stick or a pine cone as an award. We'd be patient about most things, but didn't brook bullying... or whining. If a kid was moping about, Earth Lizard would give him a "woodgie", which consisted of an exaggerated pout.  Egregious behavior might rate "the pit". I'm not gonna explain that one. Maybe Jim will. I also remember lots of little things, like drinking Tab, and doing laundry at the "disco-teria" in Ft. Payne; as well as some bigger things, like being grateful to talk about Jesus to kids who wanted to hear about him, and  the spiritual growth that I had. It was a long time ago, but I don't think I've ever had a better Summer. Thanks, Jim, for bringing it back.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That grainy black and white photo represents a great time in my life. Close to colliding with adulthood we had a chance to be kids with the kids. We enjoyed no expectations and no rules other than keeping the campers out of the emergency room. We were enthusiastic and unpredictable. In Earth Games we would "Go Earth" or celebrate a great moment by wigging out and rolling on the ground. Pretty committed or should be committed -not sure.
I didn't know Dave from Adam when we arrived at counselor training. I enjoyed his crazy sense of humor-we were fast friends by the end of the 2 months as counselors. Its all a great memory now and I'm grateful for it.
God bless you Dave "Earth Duck" Matthews. It's great to re-connect after 30+ years.
Earth Lizard

superdave524 said...

I've never had a better timing acting the fool. God has blessed me, Jim. And you, Alpine Camp, and Earth Games are a nice part of the blessing. Hope you and your family are doing great, and don't wait another thirty years to drop me a line!