Monday, May 26, 2008

Roadtrip: Lynyrd Skynyrd


My Baby Mamma, Tina, our kids, her husband (my Husband-in-Law) Darryl, and one of his kids, Christian, headed for Wild Adventures in Valdosta, GA, for the Memorial Day weekend. My kids' B'Day present to me was a ticket to join them there, where Lynyrd Skynyrd would be playing Sunday Night (odd as it seems, Tina and Darryl, the various assortment of kids, and I frequently go to events together. It's weird, I know.). Oldest, Davis, and I drove down from the Boro on Sunday to join them. Around Waycross (which, I think, is South Georgian for "very angry"), we saw the following business:


Davis stands in front of said business, trying to look like a Country Boy. You know. Just in case.












We arrive at Wild Adventures, where Davis promptly obeys their commands. Of course, it's easier to watch for the non-moving ones.












We missed Charlie Daniels, whose appears to be sidelining in the poultry business. The Lads mug for the camera.












Taylor contemplates meeting these two age-appropriate young ladies. Sadly, his older (by five minutes) brother, Tyler, would "hook-up" leaving Taylor and step-brother Christian to drown their sorrows in corndogs and french fries.











Where's my daughter, Caroline? Ah, here she comes.



Wonder why America is fat? Anyone up for a pound of chili-cheese fries? I asked about the kids' meal. Asked how many kids you get to get for $6.29. Seriously, though, if you're hunting Bubbas, this was the place to be. Valdosta, Georgia. At a theme park. On Memorial Day. At a Lynyrd Skynyrd concert. It's like hunting over bait. At 230 pounds, I'm not a small guy, but I doubt I was in the top half of heavy people at Wild Adventures. Check out the role call of Bubbas:
















Not all of them were obese. Some were just... weird.

















The Lynyrd Skynyrd web-site says that only two of the original members are still in the band. Make that one. The keyboardist was apparently in the hospital in nearby Jacksonville, FL. Still, the concert was pretty good. They played all the hits, and played them well. They also played my favorite Skynyrd song, "Tuesday's Gone". The energy was a little weak from the crowd, probably owing to the mix of roller-coaster buffs who just happened on the show, but all-in-all, not too shabby.






16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Divorce has come a long way since my parents did it. They just started talking again after 25 years (Dad has been married to his second wife longer than he was to Mother. Nice that you all get along or at least cooperate.

Love the Bubba pics. And the fat people. That's everywhere in America. Or at least there and here (in IL).

and I'm happy that you have kids so I don't have to.

superdave524 said...

Divorce is so common nowadays that if you don't get along with exes, you start running out of people. Bubbas in IL? Who knew? Maybe the fat Bubbas should be called "Blubbas".

Mr. Matt said...

Oh, man, that joint aint got nothing on Kings Island outside Cincy. A ton of fun. Still, I doubt I could ever get through a pound of Chilli Cheese Fries, ouch! Those are two great tastes, that really don't go together, at all.

Hope it was fun, don't know how you do it, well yes I guess I do, since I just spent some of the weekend with Ali, Ali's Mom, Ali's stepdad and all of Ali's 1/2 sister (oh, bullcrap, you're a sister or your not. no such thing as 1/2 sister, she's Ali's sister, and she's adorable!)

superdave524 said...

Tina's actually a good ex-wife. Any tempers aren't lost on me; they're lost on Darryl. Twice the help with the kids, half the travel-associated troubles. Works for me.

Star said...

I'm glad none of those Bubbas were at Ft. Lauderdale this weekend. We got to check out teenage girls doing keg-stands on the beach and old men with trophy wives, cars AND yachts. It was a nice change from the Bubbampa.

How many calories are in a pound of chili cheese fries ya think? I almost bought a slice...ONE thin SLICE of carrot cake yesterday, until I saw that it had 970 calories and 68 grams of fat! Good gosh I almost gagged right there on the bakery floor. (FYI: there are no such things as calories in, on or around your birthday, so I hope you enjoyed those...fries).

superdave524 said...

Very much, Star. Very much, thank you.

Chase Squires said...

I'm shocked you ran into Bubbas in Valdosta, the "Athens of the South" ... shocked, I tell you.

(Isn't the city motto "More Tattoos Than Teeth" ?)

superdave524 said...

Yeah, Chase, and a Valdosta divorce is like an Oklahoma tornado: someone's gonna lose a trailer.

Lynne said...

Star, I try to avoid walking into any bakery.

my friend Amy said...

What's with the bubbas behind bars in a couple of those photos? Are they an attraction like the bearded lady at the circus? How long was that line?

superdave524 said...

Lynne, I'm not so sure what you're worried about, you are all kinds of thin.

Amy, I like to look at theme parks are "people zoos"... Actually, the bars were entrance/exits to the concert area, to keep the crowd from migrating too much. Davis and I stayed outside because we had a pretty good view of the band and the people where we were. The couple just past the bars were vintage redneck: He of the mullet; she of the huge tattoo. More mullets there than at the Courtney-Campbell Causeway fish shacks.

Star said...

Hey Chase...is THAT why I get those looks...because I have more TEETH than tattoos...?

superdave524 said...

Star, you are the anti-Bubbette: good set of teeth, thin, articulate. Not sure what the tattoo situation is...

Lynne said...

SuperD, did you try any of the roller coasters at the park ? My son was asking.

superdave524 said...

Of Course! Did the Cheetah, Bug-out and Hangman. The Cheetah was a traditional style wood-frame roller-coaster with good drops, where you feel kind of beat up at the end; Bug-out was scary because you felt like you might fly off the track; and Hangman was a metal-frame, loopty-loop coaster where your feet hang out. My favorite ride is still the "watch the people" ride.

Lynne said...

Thank you SuperD.