Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Unfinished Business.

Two and a half years ago, when the Twins came to live in the Boro, I read to them. One of the books we started together was "The Dangerous Book for Boys". Along with little learning bits, there were activities which dads and sons were supposed to do together. One of those activities was building a treehouse. We started enthusiastically enough. We bought lumber and hardware. We built a foundation by drilling mammoth screws through two-by-sixes into one of the water oaks in the backyard. We measured, cut and notched four-by-four posts into a platform and screwed the posts into the tree. Then... we stopped. The boys got more and more friends, and had less and less time and interest in "The Dangerous Book for Boys" and for the activities contained therein. Sad. Inevitable, but sad. The Lads are back with their mom in Beaufort now. The treehouse is mostly done, and not awful. The boys? I reckon they're about the same, for the moment. I have no doubt they'll end up a lot better in the end.

4 comments:

Star said...

A literal empty nest.

superdave524 said...

Indeed.

jrtnutt said...

I know you miss them. I miss my Des when he's not here.

superdave524 said...

Thanks, Tam. I know you miss your boy, too.